Control Bandwidth per user

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GovSlave, Mar 17, 2011.

1. GovSlave

GovSlave

Been using a server for sometime now to provide the NAT function to a shared satellite internet service. Recently it has been acting up a great deal with response times reaching ridiculous numbers and consistency doing so. Nothing major has changed on the network that I can tell. I run ISA along with SoftPerfect Bandwidth Manager, SolarWinds, and a few other tools to help make the network more manageable. Of course everything is switched based on the LAN side and all users receive their IPs from the DHCP server.

I am going to replace the servers role for the link between the WAN and LAN and have everything working well but no real solution to replace what SoftPerfect provided. I have done a great deal of reading and research prior to this post on rate-limits, shaping, policing, etc. So I understand the basic options that I have with router, but I was looking for a good dissection of the process to ensure I am not revisiting this for days to come.

I am looking to limit bandwidth to about 40 users with upload rates of 80K and download rates at 160K for each user. There would be a few exceptions to this policy as well. I have been working on building access-list for each user (both in and out bound), class-maps for each access-list, and then the policy-map. Shaping looks to be a preferred way to go but policing calls for less configuration, or do I have this confused?

I would like someone with any ounce of knowledge and experience to share a snippet config to how I should tie all this together and play it out. Thanks in advance and do not hide the big terms, I am a Network Engineer in the real world just never had to venture this route before. If I do not get any feedback here I will eventually get it right just trying to work the wheel in its working form here.
    GovSlave, Mar 17, 2011
    1. Advertising

2. GovSlave

GovSlave

Update!!! If anyone shows up to help out

I have got the shaping for download to work perfectly, like magic! Now with the upload shaping is not an option, instead policing is and it is horrible. I could use an alternative suggestion to policing that does not flush the session once the max is met every time.

Thanks again for any advice.
    GovSlave, Mar 17, 2011
    1. Advertising