    getting any artifacts?

    TIA.

    mike
    mike regish, Apr 11, 2005

  2. mike regish

    Steph Guest

    If you have the choice, do it yourself. Once done within the camera, it
    cannot be reversed and some tones will be lost forever. At least if you do
    it yourself, you can keep the original file unedited.

    That's why the output from semi-professional dslr looks rather dull and flat
    compared to a popular "amateur" model - no enhancement.

    Steph, Apr 11, 2005

  3. mike regish

    Alan Browne Guest

    mike regish wrote:

    > Does it make any difference if I adjust the contrast and saturation in the
    > camera settings or with software afterwards? If I don't like the results
    > from camera settings, can they basically be reversed with software without
    > getting any artifacts?

    If you record RAW, then you can do whatever is needed after the fact.

    I don't believe contrast and saturation are reversible, at least at the
    extremes.

    I believe sharpness is reversible if you know how the sharp algo in the
    camera is set.

    In any case, the monitors on the camera are far too small to do any
    useful judgement of where these setting should be, IMO.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    Alan Browne, Apr 11, 2005
  4. mike regish

    Mark Lauter Guest

    > If you have the choice, do it yourself. Once done within the camera, it
    > cannot be reversed and some tones will be lost forever. At least if you

    do
    > it yourself, you can keep the original file unedited.

    Exactly. Doing otherwise is like throwing the negative away after making
    the first print. :)

    --
    Mark Lauter

    Photos, Ideas & Opinions
    http://www.marklauter.com
    Mark Lauter, Apr 11, 2005
  5. mike regish

    Jim Townsend Guest

    mike regish wrote:

    > Does it make any difference if I adjust the contrast and saturation in the
    > camera settings or with software afterwards? If I don't like the results
    > from camera settings, can they basically be reversed with software without
    > getting any artifacts?

    I think if you like what the camera is doing when you boost these
    parameters, then go with it. It will save you some editing time
    later on.

    To me, simple contrast adjustments aren't enough. Instead, I prefer
    to adjust levels and curves. These are far more powerful tools.

    I leave my camera settings in the neutral position and edit after
    the fact.
    Jim Townsend, Apr 11, 2005
  6. mike regish

    paul Guest

    mike regish wrote:

    > Does it make any difference if I adjust the contrast and saturation in the
    > camera settings or with software afterwards? If I don't like the results
    > from camera settings, can they basically be reversed with software without
    > getting any artifacts?

    No you cannot reverse these without loss of information but I believe it
    is best to let the camera do the adjustments if they are the appropriate
    adjustments because the camera should be using the raw data. If the
    scene is already too saturated, too contrasty or too noisy for
    sharpening, then it's better to turn that stuff off & do it yourself
    because highlights will be blown irretrievably, colors posterized, etc.
    I'm assuming RAW isn't an option for your camera or you don't have the
    energy to go through that for all shots. If you had the option to shoot
    RAW + high quality jpeg, you could probably ignore the RAW for most
    shots & use the jpeg. I would definitely boost the settings in that case.
    paul, Apr 12, 2005
  7. mike regish

    John Francis Guest

    In article <d3erdl$al4$>,
    Alan Browne <> wrote:

    >I believe sharpness is reversible if you know how the sharp algo in the
    >camera is set.

    Not true, in general.

    Plus, of course, if you're taking processed output from the camera,
    you've probably thrown away all the extra precision in the raw file.
    John Francis, Apr 12, 2005
  8. mike regish

    mike regish Guest

    I have raw as well as raw plus jpeg. Basically I was wondering if I could
    save tima at the computer by adjusting saturation and contrast in the
    camera, but from the answers here I'll leave the settings neutral.

    Thanks all.

    mike

    mike regish, Apr 12, 2005
  9. mike regish

    paul Guest

    mike regish wrote:

    > I have raw as well as raw plus jpeg.

    Then yes you can save time for most images if you have enough memory
    card capacity. If you have enough memory & not enough hard drive, delete
    the RAW files for exposures that look fine.

    paul, Apr 12, 2005
  10. mike regish

    Guest

    mike regish wrote:
    > I have raw as well as raw plus jpeg. Basically I was wondering if I

    could
    > save tima at the computer by adjusting saturation and contrast in the

    > camera, but from the answers here I'll leave the settings neutral.

    If you have the RAW file available then there's no need to keep the
    settings neutral - the JPEG version will be saved by the camera as
    configured (which may be irreversible), but the RAW version will simply
    be tagged with those non default parameters. You can manually override
    those settings on a per image basis in your conversion program.

    So, configure your camera for the most aesthetically pleasing default
    output, then if some images don't look 100% right you can play with the
    settings before converting them from RAW...

    This is speaking from a Canon perspective, other manufacturers may
    differ.
    , Apr 12, 2005