    at time, so if possible, I's like the bare minimum running in the
    backround.
    Any help or pointers regarding this is very much appricated!
    TGun, Jan 2, 2004

  2. TGun

    Jeremy Guest

    system description, an operating system you are using would both help.

    JJ

    Jeremy, Jan 2, 2004

  3. TGun

    TGun Guest

    Sorry bout that.
    Running MS XP Home edition, Ver 2002 Service Pack 1.
    TGun, Jan 2, 2004
  4. TGun

    Plato Guest

    TGun wrote:

    You'll get more help if you tell people what operating system you are
    using.

    Plato, Jan 2, 2004
  5. TGun

    Hardtime Guest

    Start, Run, msconfig and go to the start up folder and stop what you
    want or stop all.

    Hardtime, Jan 3, 2004
  6. TGun

    Hardtime Guest

    As I listed before msconfig from the run line works in all OS's
    (Except Win 2000) and windows NT and windows 95/3.1 so it is a pretty
    safe bet that it will work on whatever they are using as they should
    not have a business OS (Win2000) if they are just starting computers
    don't feel so bad there are general commands that work in all but a
    few scenarios.

    Hardtime, Jan 3, 2004
  7. TGun

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Jan 3, 2004
  8. TGun

    bambam Guest

    (TGun) wrote in

    > Hi, I'm kinda new to this, so if I do anything stupid, I apologise
    > in advance.
    > But bnyway, this is my query! I wanna have better control over
    > what programs start up when I turn my machine on, for a few
    > reasons. One, I seem to have some bug, which tries to connect to
    > the net every time i start up, and also brings up an error
    > message. I have Norton anti-virus with the newest definitions, but
    > it hasn't done any good. I can't seem to stop this progra running,
    > so I'd like to prevent it starting up. Also, when my computer is
    > running, and I check all the processes running there seems to be
    > loads, and I just wonder are they all necessary? I make 3D cad
    > models which need a lot of computer power at time, so if possible,
    > I's like the bare minimum running in the backround.
    > Any help or pointers regarding this is very much appricated!

    Here's one for ya-

    WinPatrol
    Freeware
    OS: Win 9x/ME/2000/NT/XP
    Languages: English, German
    out Worms, Adware, Spyware, Cookies, Trojan horses and other virus
    type, malicious, nasty programs that may attack your computer.
    WinPatrol puts you back in control of your computer with no need for
    constant updates. WinPatrol's goal is to help you better understand
    what programs are running on your computer, and alert you to any new
    programs added without your permission. Scotty lets you confirm any
    new programs set up to run on your computer.

    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    It would also be a good idea to download and install Spybot Search &
    Destroy and Ad-Aware, remember to update them just like your anti-
    virus program.

    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    --
    If Guys Ruled the World............
    Nodding and looking at your watch would be deemed as an acceptable
    bambam, Jan 3, 2004