    continuous focus vs focus when you shoot. I understand that continous would
    use more battery but would it help with action shots etc. Many thanks

    Larry
    Larry, Oct 30, 2005

  2. Larry

    Celcius Guest

    "Larry" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns96FEDFA2B98DFlarrybeattieshawca@64.59.144.76...
    > I have a Canon S2IS. Could someone please explain the benefits of
    > continuous focus vs focus when you shoot. I understand that continous

    would
    > use more battery but would it help with action shots etc. Many thanks
    >
    > Larry

    Hi Larry,
    I may be wrong, but in my view, you still have shutter lag.
    Marcel
    Celcius, Oct 30, 2005

  3. "Larry" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Canon S2IS. Could someone please explain the benefits of
    > continuous focus vs focus when you shoot. I understand that continous would
    > use more battery but would it help with action shots etc. Many thanks
    >
    > Larry

    Larry:

    I presume that your Canon S2-IS is like every other P&S digital camera in
    this regard.

    In the normal mode, the camera begins to autofocus when you depress the
    "shutter release" button. Depending on the scene, lighting, and camera,
    this can cause a noticeable delay before the camera has achieved the proper
    focus. (Some cameras will take the picture immediately if you completely
    push the button, but there is no guarantee that the focus is correct.)

    In Continuous-Focus mode, the camera is constantly autofocusing where
    ever it is pointed. Hence there is a good probability that the camera has
    achieved focus and can take the picture immediately when you depress
    the button. The down-side is indeed that battery life will be shortened.

    I admit that I haven't tried Continuous-Focus modes on my cameras.
    I've had good luck with both using manual focusing to pre-focus where
    I expect to take the picture, or using the half-press_and_hold method.
    All three approaches are designed to circumvent what is often called
    "shutter lag" in P&S digital cameras.

    I hope that helps.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]
    Dan Wojciechowski, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Larry

    Larry Guest

    "Dan Wojciechowski" <> wrote in

    > "Larry" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a Canon S2IS. Could someone please explain the benefits of
    >> continuous focus vs focus when you shoot. I understand that continous
    >> would use more battery but would it help with action shots etc. Many
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Larry

    > Larry:
    >
    > I presume that your Canon S2-IS is like every other P&S digital camera
    > in this regard.
    >
    > In the normal mode, the camera begins to autofocus when you depress
    > the "shutter release" button. Depending on the scene, lighting, and
    > camera, this can cause a noticeable delay before the camera has
    > achieved the proper focus. (Some cameras will take the picture
    > immediately if you completely push the button, but there is no
    > guarantee that the focus is correct.)
    >
    > In Continuous-Focus mode, the camera is constantly autofocusing where
    > ever it is pointed. Hence there is a good probability that the camera
    > has achieved focus and can take the picture immediately when you
    > depress the button. The down-side is indeed that battery life will be
    > shortened.
    >
    > I admit that I haven't tried Continuous-Focus modes on my cameras.
    > I've had good luck with both using manual focusing to pre-focus where
    > I expect to take the picture, or using the half-press_and_hold method.
    > All three approaches are designed to circumvent what is often called
    > "shutter lag" in P&S digital cameras.
    >
    > I hope that helps.

    Thanks Dan - it helps
    Larry, Nov 1, 2005