Continuous "Acquiring network address" after defrag

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Shyam, Mar 30, 2009.

  1. Shyam

    Shyam Guest

    Dear all:

    My laptop was working perfectly on Saturday. On Sunday, I ran disk cleanup
    and defrag. Monday morning, I find that I cannot connect to the office modem
    either through the wireless adapter or through the ethernet connection. I get
    a continuous "Acquiring network address" status. When I specify a static IP
    address then I am able to connect through the ethernet as well as through my
    wireless adapter.

    I have seen posts indicating that my winsock might be corrupt and that I
    should run a file called winsockxpfix.exe. However, it seems to come with
    warnings. I wanted to find out from someone reliable whether I should try
    this or something else that preferably is a microsoft fix. I am running
    windows xp home. Please let me know if you need any additional details.

    --
    Thanks very much

    Shyam

    Shyam, Mar 30, 2009

  2. Shyam

    GTS Guest

    Running "netsh winsock reset" (don't enter the quotes) in a command prompt
    will execute the built in XP process to rebuild the TCP stack, and you'll be
    advised to reboot when it's done.
    I generally try that first, and if it fails, then resort to winsockxpfix.exe
    which is generally safe.

    This is a worthwhile thing to try given the fact that you can connect with a
    static address but not DHCP on either connection, though there could be
    other causes.

    GTS, Mar 30, 2009

  3. Shyam

    Jack-MVP Guest

    Hi
    The process on this page is basically safe,
    http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack-MVP, Mar 31, 2009