Continuing font problems in Mozilla 1.5+ w/ Linux

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Randy Crawford, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. Each time I try to install a newer Mozilla than the one that's already
    on my Fedora/RedHat Linux system, ALL of the fonts in Mozilla get thin
    and grainy. This happens to not only the composition and text areas,
    but all of the menus and labels as well.

    I'm using Fedora Core 1, but this problem first emerged on another
    machine with Red Hat 8. I think it started after Mozilla 1.4 came out.

    I've searched far and wide via both Google and Mozilla.org but found
    nothing that resolves the problem. I've tried changing the order of the
    font dirs in /etc/X11/fs/config, but to no avail. What's more, this
    should be unnecessary, since Mozilla 1.4 is working fine.

    Any ideas why this is happening? Do I need to totally uninstall the
    current Mozilla so that none of its config info is found by the newer
    Mozilla? That seems like overkill...

    Thanks,

    Randy

    --
    Randy Crawford http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~rand rand AT rice DOT edu

    Randy Crawford, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Randy Crawford

    Moz Champion Guest

    Randy Crawford wrote:

    > Each time I try to install a newer Mozilla than the one that's already
    > on my Fedora/RedHat Linux system, ALL of the fonts in Mozilla get thin
    > and grainy. This happens to not only the composition and text areas,
    > but all of the menus and labels as well.
    >
    > I'm using Fedora Core 1, but this problem first emerged on another
    > machine with Red Hat 8. I think it started after Mozilla 1.4 came out.
    >
    > I've searched far and wide via both Google and Mozilla.org but found
    > nothing that resolves the problem. I've tried changing the order of the
    > font dirs in /etc/X11/fs/config, but to no avail. What's more, this
    > should be unnecessary, since Mozilla 1.4 is working fine.
    >
    > Any ideas why this is happening? Do I need to totally uninstall the
    > current Mozilla so that none of its config info is found by the newer
    > Mozilla? That seems like overkill...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Randy

    Have you asked here?
    snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.unix

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Apr 13, 2004

  3. Moz Champion wrote:
    > Randy Crawford wrote:
    >
    >> Each time I try to install a newer Mozilla than the one that's already
    >> on my Fedora/RedHat Linux system, ALL of the fonts in Mozilla get thin
    >> and grainy. This happens to not only the composition and text areas,
    >> but all of the menus and labels as well.
    >>
    >> I'm using Fedora Core 1, but this problem first emerged on another
    >> machine with Red Hat 8. I think it started after Mozilla 1.4 came out.
    >>
    >> I've searched far and wide via both Google and Mozilla.org but found
    >> nothing that resolves the problem. I've tried changing the order of
    >> the font dirs in /etc/X11/fs/config, but to no avail. What's more,
    >> this should be unnecessary, since Mozilla 1.4 is working fine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why this is happening? Do I need to totally uninstall the
    >> current Mozilla so that none of its config info is found by the newer
    >> Mozilla? That seems like overkill...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Randy
    >>

    > Have you asked here?
    > snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.mozilla.user.unix

    Thanks. I looked there and Googled further. Eventually, I was led to a
    description of the -xft font aliasing additions that (for some
    unfathomable reason) are not built into the Linux Mozilla binaries by
    default. Without it, Mozilla is effectively unusable on recent Red Hat
    or Fedora Linuxen.

    Interestingly, I failed to fix the problem even after compiling up my
    own 1.7b from source (using the -xft flag). But after downloading a
    pre-built 1.7b from elsewhere, the problem was history.

    I really *with* the Mozilla site would update their faq with more
    background on this sort of problem, not to mention an overview of the
    implications of the various compilation options. Apparently Red Hat
    *does* compile their distro Mozilla (1.4.1 for Fedora Core 1) using the
    -xft flag.

    (Not that anybody cares, but maybe a googler will someday find this, and
    so, achieve nirvana.)

    Randy

    Randy Crawford, Apr 14, 2004