    Any idea what's happening or how to make those two browsers work, IMHO, properly?

    Thanks.

    Ross
    Ross M. Greenberg, Mar 26, 2008

  2. Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > I have now tried Opera, Sea Monkey, Mozilla, Internet Explorer and Safari.
    >
    > When I zoom pages such as the New York Times (http://www.NYTimes.com ) which include images on the front page, the majority of the browsers listed above screw-up in one form or another. The ones with the worst screw-up seem to be Mozilla and Internet Explorer. The most annoying screw up, easiest to witness, happens when I hit a down arrow -- it goes down to the bottom of the page -- but, apparently, only in those two browsers .
    >
    > Any idea what's happening or how to make those two browsers work, IMHO, properly?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ross

    SeaMonkey is one word. ;)

    While the NYT site is notorious for its poor design, it doesn't seem to
    be behaving too badly as far as zooming. I have to get up to 200%
    before it gets really strange. If you are having to enlarge the text
    that much, you may need to look at some other options, a lower screen
    resolution maybe.

    I don't know what your OS provides. Mac OSX has a very good zoom feature.

    As far as the down arrow, what is it that you are expecting it to do.
    from here with SM, down arrow scrolls down, page down does what you
    would expect, and End gets you to the bottom of the page.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 26, 2008

  3. 2

    > SeaMonkey is one word. ;)

    I do all of my newsgroup interaction through Dragon NaturallySpeaking voice-recognition software (I'm handicapped) and it simply refuses to believe me when I tell them that SeaMonkey is a single word (I had to manually remove that space just now, for example)

    I typically enlarge to 150% -- the same thing happens by the way with http://news.Google.com

    > I don't know what your OS provides. Mac OSX has a very good zoom feature.

    I use Vista. Need I say more? :)

    > As far as the down arrow, what is it that you are expecting it to do.
    > from here with SM, down arrow scrolls down, page down does what you
    > would expect, and End gets you to the bottom of the page.

    SM seems to perform properly. Mozilla and Internet Explorer take a single down arrow as if I had hit End key.

    Ross

    Ross M. Greenberg, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
    > 2
    >
    >> SeaMonkey is one word. ;)

    > I do all of my newsgroup interaction through Dragon NaturallySpeaking
    > voice-recognition software (I'm handicapped) and it simply refuses to
    > believe me when I tell them that SeaMonkey is a single word (I had to
    > manually remove that space just now, for example)
    >
    >> While the NYT site is notorious for its poor design, it doesn't
    >> seem to be behaving too badly as far as zooming. I have to get up
    >> to 200% before it gets really strange. If you are having to
    >> enlarge the text that much, you may need to look at some other
    >> options, a lower screen resolution maybe.

    > I typically enlarge to 150% -- the same thing happens by the way with
    > http://news.Google.com
    >
    >> I don't know what your OS provides. Mac OSX has a very good zoom
    >> feature.

    > I use Vista. Need I say more? :)
    >
    >> As far as the down arrow, what is it that you are expecting it to
    >> do. from here with SM, down arrow scrolls down, page down does what
    >> you would expect, and End gets you to the bottom of the page.

    > SM seems to perform properly. Mozilla and Internet Explorer take a
    > single down arrow as if I had hit End key.
    >
    > Ross
    >
    >> Lee

    Hi Ross,

    Sorry about the comment, many people are confused about the exact
    spelling, one word with a capital M and all. Don't bother on my
    account, just leave the space, your intent is clear. Dragon seems to to
    well, types better then I do!!. :)

    Vista! Well, I have no contact with Vista. My wife is a Windows user,
    but she's on XP. There is a magnifier, but its pretty crummy compared
    to Zoom in OS X. There is probably a 3rd party app that would help, but
    that's out of my range of expertise.

    By Mozilla, I assume you mean Firefox? If so, I just tested the NYT
    page, and the arrow up/down, Page up/down, and End/Home behave exactly
    as in SeaMonkey.

    As Far as viewing the NYT page in either SM or FF, it looks exactly the
    same ot 150%. The text from the left hand maenu bleeds over to the next
    co9lum a little bit, but not enough to cause any problem in reading.
    Opera does enlarge the entire page, at a cost of creating a horizontal
    scroll. For me, I would rather keep the page dimensions and enlarge the
    text, as opposed to the inconvenience of a horizontal scroll.

    Safari, at least from here, seems to behave almost exactly as SM and FF
    do, so I am not sure why your experience is different. Cna you explain
    in more detail what the problem is in the Gecko browsers, I'm just not
    seeing it here.

    If you want the Opera behavior, I suspect some of that is related to the
    fact that Opera's zoom includes images, while SM/FF zooms only text.
    There is an image zoom extension which will zoom the images as well.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Ross M. Greenberg

    Rom Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:42:32 -0400, Ross M. Greenberg wrote:

    > I have now tried Opera, Sea Monkey, Mozilla, Internet Explorer and Safari.
    >
    > When I zoom pages such as the New York Times (http://www.NYTimes.com ) which include images on the front page, the majority of the browsers listed above screw-up in one form or another. The ones with the worst screw-up seem to be Mozilla and Internet Explorer. The most annoying screw up, easiest to witness, happens when I hit a down arrow -- it goes down to the bottom of the page -- but, apparently, only in those two browsers .
    >
    > Any idea what's happening or how to make those two browsers work, IMHO, properly?

    Do you have this setting checked in Firefox?
    Tools > Options > Advanced > General tab
    --Accessibility--
    [?] Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages

    With the above setting checked and the NYT page is zoomed quite a bit
    what you describe by arrowing down happens here.

    --
    Rom
    Rom, Mar 27, 2008
  6. "
    > Do you have this setting checked in Firefox?
    > Tools > Options > Advanced > General tab
    > --Accessibility--
    > [?] Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
    >

    > With the above setting checked and the NYT page is zoomed quite a bit
    > what you describe by arrowing down happens here.
    >
    > --
    > Rom

    Well, I'll be damned! I've unchecked the aforementioned option, okayed out, then I exited and restarted Firefox and voilà! 90% of my problems have disappeared!

    Thank you Ron! As Nick Danger would say you've saved me a lot of investigative work!

    Ross
    Ross M. Greenberg, Mar 27, 2008