    PITA. Suggestions please!

    TIA

    Dan
    Dan, May 4, 2005

  2. Dan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Running xp home sp2. I'm continuing to have difficulty w/TBird 1.02.
    > Program ran fine until about 2 weeks ago, when it began opening either
    > blank altogether (no accounts & no mail/messages) or it will list the
    > accounts but not any mail/messages in any account, email or news. Also,
    > the mail tool bar will be absent, as will the file, edit & view drop
    > down list headers. Tried reloading twice program from new dl's, same
    > thing. Re-starting in TBird "safe mode" is not any more successful in
    > getting it to run than restarting in the usual manner (generally 1 to 4
    > program restarts will get it to work). In addition to this, when I
    > double click a message, it does not open in its own window, as it had in
    > the past. Don't know if that's related or not. Hate to switch back to
    > OE, been using TBird since it came out, but this is getting to be a real
    > PITA. Suggestions please!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    Do a complete virus/trojan, malware scan. Some of those symtoms are
    common with trojan infected systems. Good luck!
    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005

  3. Dan

    Doug G Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Running xp home sp2. I'm continuing to have difficulty w/TBird 1.02.
    > Program ran fine until about 2 weeks ago, when it began opening either
    > blank altogether (no accounts & no mail/messages) or it will list the
    > accounts but not any mail/messages in any account, email or news. Also,
    > the mail tool bar will be absent, as will the file, edit & view drop
    > down list headers. Tried reloading twice program from new dl's, same
    > thing. Re-starting in TBird "safe mode" is not any more successful in
    > getting it to run than restarting in the usual manner (generally 1 to 4
    > program restarts will get it to work). In addition to this, when I
    > double click a message, it does not open in its own window, as it had in
    > the past. Don't know if that's related or not. Hate to switch back to
    > OE, been using TBird since it came out, but this is getting to be a real
    > PITA. Suggestions please!
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    Create a new Thunderbird profile and see if it has the same problem.

    Don't install any themes or extensions unless you know they are
    compatible with TB1.0.2.
    Doug G, May 4, 2005
  4. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Peng wrote:

    >> I would make a new profile and migrate your data over. It seems you
    >> just have too much of a mess there. :p
    >>
    >> <URL:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager>
    >>
    >> (Not posted to alt.fan.mozilla because Thunderbird doesn't want me to,

    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    >> Followup-to set to n.p.m.mail-news)

    > Also:
    >
    > <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile>
    >
    > Um, I'm not sure what all data you would want to copy over, as I have
    > not had to make a new TB profile, but I guess you should create your
    > accounts again in the new profile (DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY EMAIL!). Then,
    > copy over this stuff from your old profile to the new one:
    >
    > abook.mab
    > chrome/userChrome.css, if you have it.
    > chrome/userContent.css, if you have it.
    > history.mab
    > Mail/*
    > News/*
    > training.dat
    >
    > ...and then reinstall your extensions in the new profile, if you have
    > any. You will also have to change all the preferences you did before, of
    > course.
    >
    > Actually, try just deleting the 'XUL.mfl' file in your profile first. :p

    Thanks for the replies Ron & Peng. I don't think the trouble is
    spyware, I run spybot sd, spy sweeper, swdoctor & adaware a couple times
    a week, all they ever come up with is a few tracking cookies. I would
    have thought uninstalling the program & reinstalling would produce the
    same effect as importing to a new profile, but I guess it's worth a try...

    Dan
    Dan, May 4, 2005
  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> Running xp home sp2. I'm continuing to have difficulty w/TBird 1.02.
    >> Program ran fine until about 2 weeks ago, when it began opening either
    >> blank altogether (no accounts & no mail/messages) or it will list the
    >> accounts but not any mail/messages in any account, email or news.
    >> Also, the mail tool bar will be absent, as will the file, edit & view
    >> drop down list headers. Tried reloading twice program from new dl's,
    >> same thing. Re-starting in TBird "safe mode" is not any more
    >> successful in getting it to run than restarting in the usual manner
    >> (generally 1 to 4 program restarts will get it to work). In addition
    >> to this, when I double click a message, it does not open in its own
    >> window, as it had in the past. Don't know if that's related or not.
    >> Hate to switch back to OE, been using TBird since it came out, but
    >> this is getting to be a real PITA. Suggestions please!
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dan

    > Create a new Thunderbird profile and see if it has the same problem.
    >
    > Don't install any themes or extensions unless you know they are
    > compatible with TB1.0.2.

    Thanks Doug, I'll try that. Installation is "stock", no themes/extensions.

    Dan
    Dan, May 4, 2005
  6. Dan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > Peng wrote:
    >
    >>> I would make a new profile and migrate your data over. It seems you
    >>> just have too much of a mess there. :p
    >>>
    >>> <URL:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager>
    >>>
    >>> (Not posted to alt.fan.mozilla because Thunderbird doesn't want me to,

    > ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    >
    >>> Followup-to set to n.p.m.mail-news)

    >> Also:
    >>
    >> <URL:http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile>
    >>
    >> Um, I'm not sure what all data you would want to copy over, as I have
    >> not had to make a new TB profile, but I guess you should create your
    >> accounts again in the new profile (DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY EMAIL!). Then,
    >> copy over this stuff from your old profile to the new one:
    >>
    >> abook.mab
    >> chrome/userChrome.css, if you have it.
    >> chrome/userContent.css, if you have it.
    >> history.mab
    >> Mail/*
    >> News/*
    >> training.dat
    >>
    >> ...and then reinstall your extensions in the new profile, if you have
    >> any. You will also have to change all the preferences you did before,
    >> of course.
    >>
    >> Actually, try just deleting the 'XUL.mfl' file in your profile first. :p
    >>

    > Thanks for the replies Ron & Peng. I don't think the trouble is
    > spyware, I run spybot sd, spy sweeper, swdoctor & adaware a couple times
    > a week, all they ever come up with is a few tracking cookies. I would
    > have thought uninstalling the program & reinstalling would produce the
    > same effect as importing to a new profile, but I guess it's worth a try...
    >
    > Dan

    Nope, the profile is stored in a different place so that you can update
    the program without losing your profile information. Usually, this is
    an advantage, but in these cases, it means you have to find the profile,
    and delete it, or call the program with profile manager, and make a new one.
    Ron Hunter, May 4, 2005