Continual Crashes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Crowbarman, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Crowbarman

Crowbarman

Today, while starting up a game (Red Faction; I had previously played this installation), my computer suddenly restarted. On boot up, it restarted again. After doing this about 3 times I tried booting up in safe mode. It got a little ways into the bootup and then said it couldn't find a file and asked me to press any key to continue without it (don't remember which file and when I pressed any key it just sat there). I just figured I should reinstall windows. Installed on the same directory and it didn't even get to the main setup program before restarting again. Installed on a new directory and it gets halfway through "Installing Devices" (just past the last i) and then reboots. I've tried 3 different hard drives, 2 different cd drives, removed my video card (used on board) and disabled my on board sound. Only thing I can think of is there's something wrong with the memory but the bios memory tester said it was ok. Finally, I pulled out an old hard drive that still had Windows 98 installed on it. When booting normally, it gets to just loading the gui and then restarts but safe mode actually works. No idea where to go from here besides formatting one of the hard drives and installing on that.

Crowbarman, Sep 22, 2006
    1. Advertising