Continous Ink Systems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Patrick Devoy, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Patrick Devoy, Jan 5, 2004

  2. "Patrick Devoy" <> wrote in
    news:btcsq5$l5u$:

    > I have an Epson 1280 wide printer. The ink cartridges are small and
    > expensive. There are several companies that have designed what looks
    > like a reasonable product that replaces the standard ink cartridge
    > with discreet 4 oz bottles of ink. This makes the solution very cost
    > effective. One can even choose the brand and quality of ink. Has
    > anyone used this type of system?

    I have one for my Epson 820, and a friend has them for his 820 and
    1280. All from MIS Associates (http://www.inksupply.com/).

    They can be a little tricky to install, and require careful attention
    to the instructions, but the instructions are detailed and the units very
    well constructed. No 'hidden costs' involved, the MIS kits generally come
    with everything you need.

    Performance has been very good all around, with one small exception:
    Do not put the inkbottle tray higher than the bottom of the printer,
    otherwise siphoning could occur. Mine actually sits about four inches lower
    and works fine, no backflow.

    Some of the inks have a slight color shift from the Epson ink, and
    you should expect to play around with the color adjustments in the print
    menu after first installing the units (unless you're not too picky about
    color register). Performance varies on different papers, but my friend
    swears by Ilford Galerie, which is also a lot cheaper than Epson papers. I
    have not had a chance to compare side-by-side yet, but the dye inks perform
    excellently on Epson papers.

    The pigment-based inks (from MIS anyway) have a serious flaw: The
    black ink does not reproduce in glossy, but instead comes up matte. On
    glossy paper with all other colors coming up slick, this is extremely
    noticeable, and unacceptable to me. I'm waiting to hear that they're
    changing this soon.

    The cost savings is incredible, and you'll hate yourself for not
    having purchased one sooner. I have had no problems whatsoever with
    operation, and neither I nor my friend have had any failure in hundreds of
    prints. The auto-reset chips are great. MIS also features numerous other
    options, including cleaning balky heads and reloading cartridges if bulk-
    ink tubes get in your way (this is unlikely - MIS even included mounting
    brackets for the tubing to keep things tidy and controlled).

    Hope this helps, but if you have any specific questions, fire away!

    - Al.

    --
    To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
    Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net

    Al Denelsbeck, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Patrick Devoy

    Tyke Guest

    "Patrick Devoy" <> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson 1280 wide printer. The ink cartridges are small and
    > expensive. There are several companies that have designed what looks like

    > reasonable product that replaces the standard ink cartridge with discreet

    4
    > oz bottles of ink. This makes the solution very cost effective. One can

    even
    > choose the brand and quality of ink. Has anyone used this type of system?
    >

    > http://www.mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/tame/mediastreet/n2.tam
    >

    > http://www.inkjetart.com/cis/index.html

    We have a regular 1280 with EPSON cartridges and another 1280 which was
    customized by a company called Sawgrass to use dy sublmation inks. These
    are external bags which are much larger than the EPSON, but smaller than the
    Media Street photo.

    The dye sublimation printer is warranted by Sawgrass, who provided special
    drivers to control their special ink flow.

    The Sawgrass printer works fine, but did need one Sawgrass replacement.

    I think the Media Street systems should work. I would ask about whether
    this violates the EPSON warranty.

    Dave Paine.

    Tyke, Jan 6, 2004
  4. Patrick Devoy

    Mark Herring Guest

    My research leads me to favor MIS (www.inksupply.com) I just notied
    they have reduced theri CIS prices.

    I am now using their ink---refilling carts on 2 different printers.

    Also look at the Camel system form weink.

    On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:43:00 -0800, "Patrick Devoy" <>
    wrote:

    >I have an Epson 1280 wide printer. The ink cartridges are small and
    >expensive. There are several companies that have designed what looks like a
    >reasonable product that replaces the standard ink cartridge with discreet 4
    >oz bottles of ink. This makes the solution very cost effective. One can even
    >choose the brand and quality of ink. Has anyone used this type of system?
    >

    >http://www.mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/tame/mediastreet/n2.tam
    >

    >http://www.inkjetart.com/cis/index.html

    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".