    company on a 10:1 ratio?

    Cheers for your help

    John

    John, Apr 13, 2004

  2. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    John <> wrote in news:imjm70dmug49s05aihiuq7qldno3v0v6ud@
    4ax.com:

    > I always understood that a contention ratio of 50:1 meant that 50
    > users were sharing 1 modem. If this is the case, why do I have less
    > problems with a dial-up internet company on a 50:1 ratio than another
    > company on a 10:1 ratio?

    A crappy ISP with a 10:1 ratio is worse than a good ISP with a 50:1 ratio.
    My new company has (at last check) a 9:1 ratio for dial up. It's kinda
    like DSL vs Cable. Good DSL is better than crap cable, and good cable is
    better than crap DSL.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 13, 2004

  3. John

    Chet Guest

    As I understand it, those numbers only reflect the likelihood of connecting
    vs. getting a busy signal. Once connected, it is one user per modem and you
    are the one.

    Chet, Apr 13, 2004
  4. John

    Plato Guest

    John wrote:

    > I just wondered if someone can explain contention ratios to me?
    >
    > I always understood that a contention ratio of 50:1 meant that 50
    > users were sharing 1 modem. If this is the case, why do I have less

    It's my understanding that an ISP can only have a single user on a
    single physical modem.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  5. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in news:407c0433$0$70973$:

    > It's my understanding that an ISP can only have a single user on a
    > single physical modem.

    Yes. Contention ratio only affects your ability to dial in at all. If
    there is 8:1 users/modems, then only 1 out of every 8 users can be dialed
    in at once. 8:1 is generally considered very, very good for a user:modem
    ratio. Beyond the ability to actually connect, the rest comes up to what
    kind of service the ISP provides.

    DeMoN LaG, Apr 13, 2004