    town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
    works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
    Peter
    Peter Jason, Feb 19, 2013

  2. On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:37:35 +1100, Peter Jason <> wrote:

    >I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
    >though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
    >original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
    >little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
    >mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
    >fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
    >town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
    >works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
    >Peter

    Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
    service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

    Good luck!
    Polly the Parrott, Feb 19, 2013

  3. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:11:11 +1100, Polly the
    Parrott <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:37:35 +1100, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
    >>though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
    >>original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
    >>little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
    >>mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
    >>fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
    >>town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
    >>works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
    >>Peter

    >Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
    >service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.
    >
    >Good luck!

    Thanks I'll check this out. It shouldn't need
    parts because it has been so rarely used. I can
    always use an external light meter.

    Also, this link came up too
    http://www.zeissikonrolleirepair.com/contact.html
    Do have any experience here?
    Peter Jason, Feb 19, 2013
  4. On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:00:51 +1100, Peter Jason <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:11:11 +1100, Polly the
    >Parrott <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 14:37:35 +1100, Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a family Contax IIIa that is little used,
    >>>though the focus mechanism is gummed up with
    >>>original grease (1950s). Should I unscrew the
    >>>little tiny screws to get inside and clean out the
    >>>mechanism and re grease, or is there some local
    >>>fixit shop to do the job. The ones I tried in
    >>>town won't touch it. The focal plane shutter
    >>>works OK but the light meter is stuffed.
    >>>Peter

    >>Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
    >>service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.
    >>
    >>Good luck!

    >Thanks I'll check this out. It shouldn't need
    >parts because it has been so rarely used. I can
    >always use an external light meter.
    >
    >Also, this link came up too
    >http://www.zeissikonrolleirepair.com/contact.html
    >Do have any experience here?

    I am in Australia, so Japan is much closer to me.

    However that link rings a bell; many years ago I believe it came up
    on a photography ng and was recommended, but can't verify this.
    Polly the Parrott, Feb 20, 2013
  5. Peter Jason

    philo  Guest

    On 02/20/2013 08:07 AM, Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>, Polly the
    > Parrott <> wrote:
    >
    >> Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
    >> service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

    > Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Kyocera will be of any help. They had
    > nothing to do with the German made Contax of the 40's and 50's, other
    > than using the name and buying some lenses from Zeiss. What you'll be
    > looking for is a stateside "craftsman" repair service, like the one
    > linked in a previous response.

    About ten years ago I had my Contax repaired by a place in Chicago.

    It *might* have been this one...

    However, the Chicago area may be the best bet in setting your "Google"
    search

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo , Feb 20, 2013
  6. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:07:43 -0500, Scott
    Schuckert <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Polly the
    >Parrott <> wrote:
    >
    >> Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
    >> service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

    >Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Kyocera will be of any help. They had
    >nothing to do with the German made Contax of the 40's and 50's, other
    >than using the name and buying some lenses from Zeiss. What you'll be
    >looking for is a stateside "craftsman" repair service, like the one
    >linked in a previous response.

    Correct. Kyocera replied and they don't fix the
    Cantax vintage cameras.
    Peter Jason, Feb 20, 2013
  7. On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:17:43 +1100, Peter Jason <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 09:07:43 -0500, Scott
    >Schuckert <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Polly the
    >>Parrott <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kyocera in Japan may be your last resort; they said that they can
    >>> service my RX and AX, but parts are getting scarce.

    >>Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Kyocera will be of any help. They had
    >>nothing to do with the German made Contax of the 40's and 50's, other
    >>than using the name and buying some lenses from Zeiss. What you'll be
    >>looking for is a stateside "craftsman" repair service, like the one
    >>linked in a previous response.

    >Correct. Kyocera replied and they don't fix the
    >Cantax vintage cameras.

    Apologies, I should have read the subject matter more closely.
    Polly the Parrott, Feb 20, 2013