    'S rioghal mo dhream
    Ciamar a tha sibh
    www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk
    soup, Sep 27, 2007

  2. soup wrote:

    > Have no great hopes that anyone can help.

    Pessimist!

    > My mum uses OE for her E-mail and is complaining that her Contacts
    > (address book) is now all squares and question marks instead of
    > readable characters (sounds like some sort of font issue to me) ...

    A thought: open Internet Explorer. Go to:
    View > Encoding >

    What is selected? Change it to Unicode (UTF-8)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 27, 2007

  3. soup <> wrote in

    > Have no great hopes that anyone can help. My mum uses OE for her
    > E-mail and is complaining that her Contacts (address book) is now
    > all squares and question marks instead of readable characters
    > (sounds like some sort of font issue to me) I have no more details
    > as she was talking to the wife on the phone and mentioned this and
    > my wife just mentioned in passing so all I know is mum's address
    > book is now in "hieroglyphics" (mums words). Does anyone know how
    > I could sort this?
    >
    > I have had a wee look at OE on this system but I can not
    > replicate her
    > problem and I can't see anywhere I would set the font for the OE
    > address book
    >
    > OS is Win ME
    > Not sure which version of OE it is, probably six something

    Sounds like it could be corrupted. Now would be a good time to
    explain how to backup important files like bookmarks,address book
    etc.(she already understands why)
    max
    --
    Virus Removal http://max.shplink.com/removal.html
    Keep Clean http://max.shplink.com/keepingclean.html
    What's in a Name?, Sep 28, 2007
  4. soup

    soup Guest

    What's in a Name? wrote:

    > Now would be a good time to
    > explain how to backup important files like bookmarks,address book
    > etc.

    I will, will take the patience of Job though as she has difficulty
    even understanding some concepts [old and new to computing not a good
    combination].
    I am also not a patient person at all and have a bit of a reputation
    (in my mum's eyes) of shouting "why did you do that" and "no not that
    button" down the phone at her. So much so that she hesitates to phone
    me about computer problems.

    --
    'S rioghal mo dhream
    Ciamar a tha sibh
    soup, Sep 28, 2007
  5. soup

    John Holmes Guest

    soup "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I am also not a patient person at all and have a bit of a reputation
    > (in my mum's eyes) of shouting "why did you do that" and "no not that
    > button" down the phone at her. So much so that she hesitates to phone
    > me about computer problems.

    LOL, I have the same thing, but then with my customers!

    --
    Your mother was a conservative tart who used to be violently and copiously
    sick in a tattoo studio in L.A..
    John Holmes, Sep 28, 2007
  6. soup

    soup Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Have no great hopes that anyone can help. My mum uses OE for her E-mail
    > and is complaining that her Contacts (address book) is now all squares
    > and question marks instead of readable characters (sounds like some sort
    > of font issue to me) I have no more details as she was talking to the
    > wife on the phone and mentioned this and my wife just mentioned in
    > passing so all I know is mum's address book is now in "hieroglyphics"
    > (mums words). Does anyone know how I could sort this?

    Seems her grandaughter (my niece) had been replying to all and sundry
    and their addresses were automatically getting written to mum's Contacts
    so when mum looked at her address book all these "strange" names etc
    were all she could see (if she had scrolled she would have seen her
    names were in there but as soon as she saw the "hieroglyphics" she
    panicked and shouted on me)so after manually deleting the names/addys
    that had no right to be there mum only had the addys she wanted left in
    her contacts .

    And the moral of this story is don't let twelve year olds who think they
    know everything at your computer, without knowing yourself what to do.

    --
    'S rioghal mo dhream
    Ciamar a tha sibh
    soup, Sep 29, 2007