    temporary site pending security checks etc.

    I suppose they were running Windows on the web server, or it was a
    very skilled attack.
    peterwn, Jul 11, 2008

  2. peterwn

    EMB Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > www.consumer.org.nz was infected by a worm last weekend and it could
    > have infected others. They pulled the site and replaced it with a
    > temporary site pending security checks etc.
    >
    > I suppose they were running Windows on the web server, or it was a
    > very skilled attack.

    IIS 5.0
    EMB, Jul 11, 2008

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 11, 10:15 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    > >www.consumer.org.nzwas infected by a worm last weekend and it could
    > > have infected others. They pulled the site and replaced it with a
    > > temporary site pending security checks etc.

    > > I suppose they were running Windows on the web server, or it was a
    > > very skilled attack.

    > IIS 5.0

    (sigh) Thanks - it makes one weep - why cannot they see the LAMP.
    peterwn, Jul 11, 2008
  4. peterwn

    Tony Guest

    > I have seen s loads of sites that were vulnerable to php exploits.
    > and injection attackes are very common on MySQL. My advice...
    > Use whatever technology you have most expertise in but build into
    > your cost model frequent patching and regular scans of both
    > infrastructure and applications.

    Absolutely, ANY system not maintained is venerable.
    Tony, Jul 12, 2008
  5. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jul 12, 11:13 am, Tony
    <> wrote:
    > > I have seen s loads of sites that were vulnerable to php exploits.
    > > and injection attackes are very common on MySQL. My advice...
    > > Use whatever technology you have most expertise in but build into
    > > your cost model frequent patching and regular scans of both
    > > infrastructure and applications.

    > Absolutely, ANY system not maintained is venerable.

    The site would not use php, it would use asp. Moreover indications
    are that it was an automated attack and compromised the Windows kernel
    as distinct from a php type, injection, etc attack.
    Agreed that LAMP stacks are vulnerable to php or cgi.bin or injection
    attacks but these AFAIK cannot be readily automated (compared with
    attacks on Windows) and even if such an attack is successful, a second
    'root' attack is needed to completely hijack the machine.

    Regardless of circumstances, this attack would be causing the
    Consumers Institute grave embarassment, significant cost and loss of
    goodwill. The 'powerswitch' site is also affected. It is rare indeed
    that people end up with 'infected' computers when visiting reputable
    web sites.

    The risk cost of such attacks including cleanups etc is not factored
    into the TCO studies that Microsoft friendly consultants bandy around
    or that Microsoft salespeople dicuss with CEO's, directors etc on golf
    courses or in gentlemens clubs - I mean the sort of salespeople who
    find it easier to contact a company CEO than the company's IT manager
    can contact the CEO.
    peterwn, Jul 12, 2008
  6. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-07-11, Tony <tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit> wrote:
    >> I have seen s loads of sites that were vulnerable to php exploits.
    >> and injection attackes are very common on MySQL. My advice...
    >> Use whatever technology you have most expertise in but build into
    >> your cost model frequent patching and regular scans of both
    >> infrastructure and applications.

    > Absolutely, ANY system not maintained is venerable.

    Any syste
    Gordon, Jul 12, 2008
  7. peterwn

    Tony Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > On 2008-07-11, Tony <tonysusenetemailaddress.removethisbit> wrote:
    >>> I have seen s loads of sites that were vulnerable to php exploits.
    >>> and injection attackes are very common on MySQL. My advice...
    >>> Use whatever technology you have most expertise in but build into
    >>> your cost model frequent patching and regular scans of both
    >>> infrastructure and applications.

    >> Absolutely, ANY system not maintained is venerable.

    > No Tony even relatively young systems can be vulnerable :p
    > 'tis you and I that are venerable :)

    Hmm, should have looked closer at the spell check on that one !
    Tony, Jul 12, 2008