    using those ad laden bloated excuses for registration so I won't delve
    further.

    catherine
    catherine yronwode, Jul 1, 2007

  2. catherine yronwode

    Lord Possum Guest

    In article <ctShi.7723$>,
    says...
    > I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time I've
    > ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
    > - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
    > - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
    > - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com

    I am heavy into graphics, and mainly try to keep abreast of
    all the freebies. The newest thing to come down the freebie
    pike is .. PhotoScape 3 (Google that) or try here:

    http://www.download.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703123.html

    At this point, after a couple days of playing with it,
    all I can say is ... WOW. Haven't found another freebie
    anything like it. Lottsa commercial stuff, but no freebies.

    Lord Possum
    Lord Possum, Jul 1, 2007

  3. catherine yronwode

    Gordon Guest

    catherine yronwode wrote:
    > I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time I've
    > ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
    > - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
    > - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
    > - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com
    >
    > You can find the results at
    > http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...hoto-software-7-07/ratings/0707_soft_tips.htm
    >
    > Picasa got a 46 rating, Irfanview a 45, and Snapfire a 42 out of 100.
    > In comparison, "not freeware" Adobe Photoshot Elements 5.0 rated a 74 while
    > Corel Snaprie 1.00 Plus rated a 51 with ACD Systems ACDSee Photo Manager,
    > Microsoft Digital Image Suite, and Roxio Easy Media Creator in between.
    >
    > They also rated digital camera editing software, but I can't imagine anyone
    > using those ad laden bloated excuses for registration so I won't delve
    > further.
    >
    > catherine

    Subscription required, fortunately I have one. I've used all three and
    was always left wanting. Frequently someone will suggest Picasa when
    discussing editors...

    JIm
    Gordon, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Jürgen Exner, Jul 1, 2007
  5. catherine yronwode

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:21:10 -0500, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    > catherine yronwode wrote:
    >> I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time
    >> I've ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
    >> - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
    >> - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
    >> - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com
    >>
    >> You can find the results at
    >> http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...hoto-software-7-07/ratings/0707_soft_tips.htm

    > Yeah, right:
    > Included in this report (for subscribers):
    >
    > jue

    Dang Catherine...they are eating you up. Nothing wrong with a free
    subscription from consumer reports. They have good material. Please take
    the typical boorish behavior of some here with a grain of salt. Keep on
    posting...you are very welcome here. You certainly have much to offer...as
    your interests indicate.

    --
    Bear Bottoms
    Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com
    Bear Bottoms, Jul 1, 2007
  6. catherine yronwode

    Mark Warner Guest

    Bear Bottoms wrote:

    > Nothing wrong with a free
    > subscription from consumer reports.

    It's not free.

    --
    Mark Warner
    SimplyMEPIS Linux v6.5
    Mark Warner, Jul 1, 2007
  7. catherine yronwode

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
    <> wrote:

    > Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >>
    >> Nothing wrong with a free subscription from consumer reports.

    > It's not free.

    OOPS...something wrong with that!

    Bear Bottoms, Jul 1, 2007
  8. On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, Bear Bottoms wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Nothing wrong with a free subscription from consumer reports.

    >> It's not free.
    >>

    > OOPS...something wrong with that!

    Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ... the
    point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
    Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.

    I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
    freeware before.
    catherine yronwode, Jul 1, 2007
  9. catherine yronwode

    Charles Guest

    "catherine yronwode" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It's not free.
    >>>

    >> OOPS...something wrong with that!

    > Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ... the
    > point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
    > Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
    >
    > I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
    > freeware before.

    Kill the messenger! Thanks Catherine.
    Charles, Jul 1, 2007
  10. catherine yronwode

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:32:33 GMT, catherine yronwode wrote:

    > Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ... the
    > point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
    > Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
    >
    > I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
    > freeware before.

    It was. Your single OP was of far more interesting than almost all
    of the many dozens of OPs from another of this newsgroup's Rich
    denizens. :) I wonder how many times ad-based magazines include or
    seriously consider photo editor freeware in their software reviews.
    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2007
  11. catherine yronwode

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:32:33 -0500, catherine yronwode <>
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It's not free.
    >>>

    >> OOPS...something wrong with that!

    > Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ...
    > the
    > point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
    > Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
    >
    > I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
    > freeware before.

    It's ok. The information you gave was interesting. Everyone is testy right
    now :) Look past it and have fun here. I'll look forward to your
    participation.

    Bear Bottoms, Jul 1, 2007
  12. catherine yronwode

    Mike Russell Guest

    >> Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ...
    >> the
    >> point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
    >> Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
    >>
    >> I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
    >> freeware before.

    No good deed goes unpunished :) - I'm with ASAAR and others in saying kudos
    for posting something interesting.
    --
    Mike Russell - www.curvemeister.com
    Mike Russell, Jul 1, 2007
  13. catherine yronwode

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:34:48 +0000, catherine yronwode wrote:

    > I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time I've
    > ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
    > - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
    > - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
    > - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com
    >
    > You can find the results at
    > http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...hoto-software-7-07/ratings/0707_soft_tips.htm
    >
    > Picasa got a 46 rating, Irfanview a 45, and Snapfire a 42 out of 100.
    > In comparison, "not freeware" Adobe Photoshot Elements 5.0 rated a 74 while
    > Corel Snaprie 1.00 Plus rated a 51 with ACD Systems ACDSee Photo Manager,
    > Microsoft Digital Image Suite, and Roxio Easy Media Creator in between.
    >
    > They also rated digital camera editing software, but I can't imagine anyone
    > using those ad laden bloated excuses for registration so I won't delve
    > further.
    >
    > catherine

    In typical CR style - too little, too late. GIMP is the premiere
    OpenSource photo editor, so they didn't even bother.
    ray, Jul 1, 2007
  14. catherine yronwode

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:32:33 GMT, catherine yronwode wrote:

    > Oh my. I didn't mean for the point to be the Consumer Reports link ... the
    > point was that Consumer Reports RATED PHOTO EDITOR FREEWARE such as
    > Irfanview, Picasa, and Snapfire.
    >
    > I thought it was interesting as I had never seen a review on CR for
    > freeware before.

    It was. Your single OP was of far more interesting than almost all
    of the many dozens of OPs from another of this newsgroup's Rich
    denizens. :) I wonder how many times ad-based magazines include or
    seriously consider photo editor freeware in their software reviews.

    Added note: This message is being re-posted, since it wasn't sent to
    all of the OP's included newsgroups, and didn't mention that the
    newsgroup referred to in the body should be r.p.d.
    ASAAR, Jul 1, 2007
  15. On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, "Bear Bottoms"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Nothing wrong with a free subscription from consumer reports.

    >> It's not free.
    >>

    >OOPS...something wrong with that!

    SOmething wrong with posting out of your ass in the first place.
    Oliver Costich, Jul 2, 2007
  16. catherine yronwode

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:43:27 -0500, Oliver Costich
    <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:15:28 -0500, "Bear Bottoms"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:57:52 -0500, Mark Warner
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> It's not free.
    >>>

    >> OOPS...something wrong with that!

    > SOmething wrong with posting out of your ass in the first place.

    Hi angry person. All ya gotta do is give the gal a break eh! She brought
    some interesting info and everyone is 'doing' her. Not in a loving way.
    Nor is yours.

    Bear Bottoms, Jul 2, 2007
  17. catherine yronwode

    M.L. Guest

    >> I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first
    >> time I've ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
    >> - Picasa 2.2.0 http://picasa.google.com
    >> - IrfanView 3.99 http://www.infranview.com
    >> - Corel Snapfire 1.10 http://www.corel.com

    CU did a report on IrfanView and other editors a few years ago. They
    were not impressed with Irfanview.
    M.L., Jul 2, 2007
  18. catherine yronwode

    M.L. Guest

    > In typical CR style - too little, too late. GIMP is the premiere
    > OpenSource photo editor, so they didn't even bother.

    Consumer Reports places heavy emphasis on ease-of-use issues, so they
    wouldn't have liked GIMP anyway.
    M.L., Jul 2, 2007
  19. catherine yronwode

    plb49 Guest

    On Jul 1, 2:49?pm, Lord Possum <> wrote:
    > In article <ctShi.7723$>,
    > says...> I just noticed Consumer Reports evaluated & rated, for the first time I've
    > > ever seen, freeware digital photo-editing sofware such as
    > > - Picasa 2.2.0http://picasa.google.com
    > > - IrfanView 3.99http://www.infranview.com
    > > - Corel Snapfire 1.10http://www.corel.com

    > I am heavy into graphics, and mainly try to keep abreast of
    > all the freebies. The newest thing to come down the freebie
    > pike is .. PhotoScape 3 (Google that) or try here:
    >
    > http://www.download.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703123.html
    >
    > At this point, after a couple days of playing with it,
    > all I can say is ... WOW. Haven't found another freebie
    > anything like it. Lottsa commercial stuff, but no freebies.
    >
    > Lord Possum

    Have you seen Paint.NET?

    http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

    Looks interesting!