Constant Network traffic problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    The last couple of days I've been noticing a lot of network traffic. Mainly
    with my uploads. I use "Stat 'n' Perf" a network monitor software and my
    average transmission would be 20kB/s.

    I'm not surfing the web, I'm not using any p2p software and yet I'm still
    uploading data somewhere.

    I checked for virus and worms. Nothing

    I checked for spyware. (Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destory). Nothing.

    I have two computers connect through a router and that is connected to cable
    modem. I disconnect the cable modem from the router (no internet), the
    traffic is still there. I disconnect the second computer that I'm not
    using, the traffic is still there.

    I checked the second computer when it was connected to the router, it had no
    problems.

    I'm thinking of reformatting the computer but that might not solve the
    problem.

    Can anyone help or suggest something?

    using W2k
    Jeff, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Jeff

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in

    > The last couple of days I've been noticing a lot of network traffic.
    > Mainly with my uploads. I use "Stat 'n' Perf" a network monitor
    > software and my average transmission would be 20kB/s.
    >
    > I'm not surfing the web, I'm not using any p2p software and yet I'm
    > still uploading data somewhere.
    >
    > I checked for virus and worms. Nothing
    >
    > I checked for spyware. (Ad-aware, Spybot Search and Destory). Nothing.
    >
    > I have two computers connect through a router and that is connected to
    > cable modem. I disconnect the cable modem from the router (no
    > internet), the traffic is still there. I disconnect the second
    > computer that I'm not using, the traffic is still there.
    >
    > I checked the second computer when it was connected to the router, it
    > had no problems.
    >
    > I'm thinking of reformatting the computer but that might not solve the
    > problem.
    >
    > Can anyone help or suggest something?
    >
    > using W2k

    You can use a packet sniffer like Ethereal (free).

    www.ethereal.com

    You can Active Ports and Process Explorer and you can use PE to look at
    all running processes and look inside a running process to see what
    processes are using a process both are free.

    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 19, 2005