    seems to rule that out.
    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Smirnoff, May 4, 2004

  2. Smirnoff wrote:

    > Win ME
    > Suddenly, my HD indicator light is showing constant activity and I can
    > hear something that appears to be reading/writing.
    > At first I thought it may be doing a restore checkpoint or PC health
    > check.
    > However, it even does it in Safe Mode, with only Explorer running.
    > System resources seem unaffected.
    > I hoped it was just a dodgy LCD but the noise of something going on
    > seems to rule that out.
    > Any ideas?
    > TIA

    The first question is always, "How hot is the drive?" An
    overheated drive has to go through repeated recalibration
    and that can appear as constant activity. Is SMART enabled
    and what does that report?
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 4, 2004

  3. Smirnoff

    Smirnoff Guest

    Palindrâ~»me wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >
    >> Win ME
    >> Suddenly, my HD indicator light is showing constant activity and I
    >> can hear something that appears to be reading/writing.
    >> At first I thought it may be doing a restore checkpoint or PC health
    >> check.
    >> However, it even does it in Safe Mode, with only Explorer running.
    >> System resources seem unaffected.
    >> I hoped it was just a dodgy LCD but the noise of something going on
    >> seems to rule that out.
    >> Any ideas?
    >> TIA
    >>

    > The first question is always, "How hot is the drive?" An
    > overheated drive has to go through repeated recalibration
    > and that can appear as constant activity. Is SMART enabled
    > and what does that report?

    No, boot up screen shows SMART is disabled.
    Smirnoff, May 4, 2004
  4. Smirnoff

    Joe Guest

    scan the harddrive for disk errors in DOS, i found constant disk writes was
    due to a faulty harddrive after a defrag.
    Joe, May 4, 2004