    74% of physical memory doing nothing...

    System is AMD Duron 1300+ with 256 Mb RAM, Windows XP home.....

    , Jan 17, 2006

  2. philo Guest

    wrote:
    > Just noticed my PC is constantly trying to access the hard drive - I
    > mean it never stops - even though no apps are running. Is my memory
    > shot? I have everest home edition installed and it says PC is using
    > 74% of physical memory doing nothing...
    >
    > System is AMD Duron 1300+ with 256 Mb RAM, Windows XP home.....

    although you could prob. solve the problem
    by adding an additional 256 megs of ram...

    try running msconfig and see what's really running
    at startup.
    although you should keep your anti-virus and firewall there...
    chances are you don't need much else

    philo, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Shep© Guest

    On 17 Jan 2006 15:27:13 -0800 If you fall from a tree,leave your anger
    on the branch and then sent this :

    >Just noticed my PC is constantly trying to access the hard drive - I
    >mean it never stops - even though no apps are running. Is my memory
    >shot? I have everest home edition installed and it says PC is using
    >74% of physical memory doing nothing...
    >
    >System is AMD Duron 1300+ with 256 Mb RAM, Windows XP home.....

    Turn of hard drive indexing,

    http://www.techbargains.com/hottips/hottip12/index.cfm

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,

    Shep©, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Martik Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Just noticed my PC is constantly trying to access the hard drive - I
    > mean it never stops - even though no apps are running. Is my memory
    > shot? I have everest home edition installed and it says PC is using
    > 74% of physical memory doing nothing...
    >
    > System is AMD Duron 1300+ with 256 Mb RAM, Windows XP home.....

    Start up task manager (Ctl-alt-del) and see which process is hitting the HD.
    You may have to add a column for i/o.

    Martik, Jan 17, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:7afzf.127427$OU5.31695@clgrps13,
    Martik spewed forth:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Just noticed my PC is constantly trying to access the hard drive - I
    >> mean it never stops - even though no apps are running. Is my memory
    >> shot? I have everest home edition installed and it says PC is using
    >> 74% of physical memory doing nothing...
    >>
    >> System is AMD Duron 1300+ with 256 Mb RAM, Windows XP home.....
    >>

    > Start up task manager (Ctl-alt-del) and see which process is hitting
    > the HD. You may have to add a column for i/o.

    Excellent tip. In case the OP doesn't know how to do that, click on View,
    Select columns, then check what you want to see. Drag the side of the window
    wider so all columns are visible.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Martik Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:7afzf.127427$OU5.31695@clgrps13,
    > Martik spewed forth:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Just noticed my PC is constantly trying to access the hard drive - I
    >>> mean it never stops - even though no apps are running. Is my memory
    >>> shot? I have everest home edition installed and it says PC is using
    >>> 74% of physical memory doing nothing...
    >>>
    >>> System is AMD Duron 1300+ with 256 Mb RAM, Windows XP home.....
    >>>

    >> Start up task manager (Ctl-alt-del) and see which process is hitting
    >> the HD. You may have to add a column for i/o.

    > Excellent tip. In case the OP doesn't know how to do that, click on View,
    > Select columns, then check what you want to see. Drag the side of the
    > window wider so all columns are visible.

    Here the best one I have used:
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html (good replacement for
    taskmgr there too!)

    "FileMon monitors and displays file system activity on a system in
    real-time. Its advanced capabilities make it a powerful tool for exploring
    the way Windows works, seeing how applications use the files and DLLs, or
    tracking down problems in system or application file configurations.
    Filemon's timestamping feature will show you precisely when every open,
    read, write or delete, happens, and its status column tells you the
    outcome."

    Try this: Select your volumes, put it in startup and watch all the I/O while
    Windows starts up.

    Martik, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:X1gzf.106545$km.68141@edtnps89,
    Martik spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:7afzf.127427$OU5.31695@clgrps13,
    >> Martik spewed forth:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> Start up task manager (Ctl-alt-del) and see which process is hitting
    >>> the HD. You may have to add a column for i/o.

    >> Excellent tip. In case the OP doesn't know how to do that, click on
    >> View, Select columns, then check what you want to see. Drag the side
    >> of the window wider so all columns are visible.
    >>

    > Here the best one I have used:
    > http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html (good replacement
    > for taskmgr there too!)
    >
    > "FileMon monitors and displays file system activity on a system in
    > real-time. Its advanced capabilities make it a powerful tool for
    > exploring the way Windows works, seeing how applications use the
    > files and DLLs, or tracking down problems in system or application
    > file configurations. Filemon's timestamping feature will show you
    > precisely when every open, read, write or delete, happens, and its
    > status column tells you the outcome."
    >
    > Try this: Select your volumes, put it in startup and watch all the
    > I/O while Windows starts up.

    That'd almost be scary <grin>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 18, 2006