    The other three drives are set up in a raid 5 configuration on SATA I
    connections. The drives are all Hitachi and reconfigured to support SATA II
    even though the raid 5 configuration does not support it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?=, Oct 26, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you checked Task Manager to see what processes are doing the I/O
    activity. Add the I/O Reads and Writes to the columns and if necessary sort
    by Reads or Writes. Let the group know the results.

    John Barnes, Oct 26, 2005

  3. You may need specific 64bit drivers installed all in one go from windows
    installation, if you boot and have unsupported hardware that looks 'vaguely'
    O.K. to the OS, it will not stop searching for something to make the
    connection. This seems to be rather specific behavior with SATA hardware -
    perhaps because basic support is built in already.

    John's advice is excellent! See if you can find that process.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 26, 2005
  4. John,

    I shut down every process listed until I hit one SVChost that shut my
    computer down for me. It rebooted fine, but it did get my attention. I tried
    it several more times. I killed everything that was clocking I/O's and still
    have no luck. It did this when I first built it, but after a week or so it
    stopped. Now it is back.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?=, Nov 2, 2005
  5. Tony,

    I installed a WINTV card (Win MCE ONLY!!). I yanked it out and no change. I
    went digging and found some PCI bridge in never never land, so I disabled it.
    Still no luck. I went out and downloaded the beta chipset drivers for the
    GA-K8N Ultra-9 and re-enabled the PCI bridge problem child. I ran the update
    and rebooted. Now I do not hac=ve anything in never never land per device
    manager. However, we are still pounding right along. I will shut down some of
    the processes as soon as I de-install NAV 10 for x64 to be sure it is not
    doing something funny.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?=, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Tony,

    I killed everything. The only items left are critical processes and still no
    luck. Some of the items respawned on their own afer I did them in. Maybe a
    complete reload since I have the new chipset driver?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?=, Nov 2, 2005
  7. That's the service host that has to run in order for any service to run.
    There are usually several instances of it. It is better to shut down
    services and leave SVChost alone.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 2, 2005
  8. Colin,

    Found the problem. It is Silicon Raid controller. I am running three
    250 gig disks in a raid 5 configuration on this controller. I am using the
    x64 beta drivers from Giga-Byte's web site. As soon as I go into system and
    disable/deinstall the controller, life is great. Well, I can't get to my 3
    drives....

    =?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95?=, Nov 12, 2005
  9. I hope you have a means to do a bug report to GB. Hopefully it will be
    resolved in the final release of the driver. Glad you solved it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 12, 2005