    "limited connectivity" error. When I switch the laptop to a static IP, these
    problems disappear.

    Any particular reason this is happening?

    Mike, Apr 5, 2009

  2. Hi
    Maybe this can Help, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 5, 2009

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi,

    The symptoms described sound familiar, however I am running XP SP2 on the
    affected laptop. None of my machines are running any variations of Vista.
    The wired clients on the network (as well as several other wireless devices
    such as a Wii and a Tivo) don't have this problem.

    Thanks.

    Mike, Apr 5, 2009
  4. Mike

    Chuck [MVP] Guest

    On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 16:08:01 -0700, Mike <> wrote:

    >My laptop is currently connected wirelessly to my LAN through a Linksys
    >router. When configured to use DHCP, I constantly get disconnected, with the
    >"limited connectivity" error. When I switch the laptop to a static IP, these
    >problems disappear.
    >
    >Any particular reason this is happening?

    Mike,

    When you notice this happening, is there anything interesting in the DHCP log in
    the router?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]

    Chuck [MVP], Apr 5, 2009
  5. Mike

    Lem Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The symptoms described sound familiar, however I am running XP SP2 on the
    > affected laptop. None of my machines are running any variations of Vista.
    > The wired clients on the network (as well as several other wireless devices
    > such as a Wii and a Tivo) don't have this problem.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> Maybe this can Help, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >>> My laptop is currently connected wirelessly to my LAN through a Linksys
    >>> router. When configured to use DHCP, I constantly get disconnected, with
    >>> the
    >>> "limited connectivity" error. When I switch the laptop to a static IP,
    >>> these
    >>> problems disappear.
    >>>
    >>> Any particular reason this is happening?

    You haven't supplied much information.

    What do you mean by "constantly"? Do you actually have a good
    connection for any length of time?

    Is there any discernible pattern to the loss of your wireless
    connection? For example, every x minutes.

    Where is the laptop physically in relation to the router, the wii, and
    the TiVo?

    What other wireless devices are in your home? For example, cordless
    telephones, baby monitors, microwave ovens.

    When you use a static IP address, do you really maintain your wireless
    connection or do you just stop seeing the error message?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 5, 2009
  6. Hi
    What about SSID Broadcast, to you keep it On?
    The Power Saving scheme of the Wireless Card can also be part of such
    problem.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Apr 5, 2009