    Can the port easily be repaired/exchanged?

    Thanks,
    Christian

    Christian Lox, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Christian,
    Can you telnet to the switch. If you could you could do a 'show
    post' and see if there are any POST failures which indicate a hardware
    failure. If the port is bad, it is not field serviceable. You will
    need to have the switch replaced, either under SmartNET from Cisco or
    possibly from your VAR or reseller.

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
    > Christian,
    > Can you telnet to the switch. If you could you could do a 'show
    > post' and see if there are any POST failures which indicate a hardware
    > failure. If the port is bad, it is not field serviceable. You will

    The 'show post' issues a 'passed'.
    Any other idea?

    Thanks,
    Christian

    Christian Lox, Nov 23, 2004
  4. The console port can still be bad, but it sill be harder to ascertain.
    What different systems have you tried to console into the switch with?
    Have you been able to console into other Cisco equipment with those
    same boxes? Are you using the Cisco supplied rollover cable? If not,
    are you sure the cable is good and pinned out correctly? What terminal
    settings are you using? Post a 'show run' so we can see how the
    console port is configured.

    Good Luck
    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
    > The console port can still be bad, but it sill be harder to ascertain.
    > What different systems have you tried to console into the switch with?

    I tried a terminal box from Wyse which I mostly use for our cisco
    machines and a Linux laptop with minicom.
    Both work fine on other cisco gear.

    > Have you been able to console into other Cisco equipment with those

    yes.

    > same boxes? Are you using the Cisco supplied rollover cable? If not,

    yes, original (light blue) Cisco cables.

    > are you sure the cable is good and pinned out correctly? What terminal

    Tried also with different cables.

    > settings are you using? Post a 'show run' so we can see how the
    > console port is configured.

    line con 0
    transport input none
    stopbits 1

    are the relevant lines.

    Thanks fpr your help!

    Christian

    Christian Lox, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Christian Lox <> wrote in message news:<cnviom$kf3$>...
    > Robert B. Phillips, II wrote:
    > > The console port can still be bad, but it sill be harder to ascertain.
    > > What different systems have you tried to console into the switch with?

    > I tried a terminal box from Wyse which I mostly use for our cisco
    > machines and a Linux laptop with minicom.
    > Both work fine on other cisco gear.
    >
    > > Have you been able to console into other Cisco equipment with those

    > yes.
    >
    > > same boxes? Are you using the Cisco supplied rollover cable? If not,

    > yes, original (light blue) Cisco cables.
    >
    > > are you sure the cable is good and pinned out correctly? What terminal

    > Tried also with different cables.
    >
    > > settings are you using? Post a 'show run' so we can see how the
    > > console port is configured.
    > >

    > line con 0
    > transport input none
    > stopbits 1
    >
    > are the relevant lines.
    >
    > Thanks fpr your help!
    >
    > Christian

    Christian,
    Try removing those two lines below con 0, unless there is a
    specific reason they are there that is supposed to make it work with
    your Linux box, but I know using HyperTerminal or other Windows-based
    emulation packages you shoudln't need those lines of config. Let's see
    if the configuration is messing with your console connection. Also,
    have you ever successfully logged into this switch with your current
    setup?

    Good Luck
    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Nov 23, 2004