Console problem from Linux

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by elixxir, May 30, 2006.

  1. elixxir

    elixxir Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to get linux to talk to a Cisco 837 using the supplied blue
    console cable.
    The serial port is detected by linux and seems alright as you can see
    below.

    /proc/tty/driver/serial
    0: uart:16550A port:000003F8 irq:4 tx:149 rx:121

    Tx and Rx indicate that bytes are being sent/received. Now here's the
    thing, neither minicom nor kermit will show any output at all (i'm no
    guru when it comes to this but i have my settings correct as in speed,
    parity, stop bits etc..)

    Also, the cisco shows this:

    -------------------------
    eon#show line console 0
    Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise
    Overruns Int
    0 CTY - - - - - 0 163 0/0
    -

    Line 0, Location: "", Type: ""
    Length: 24 lines, Width: 80 columns
    Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600, no parity, 2 stopbits, 8 databits
    Capabilities: none
    Modem state: Ready
    Special Chars: Escape Hold Stop Start Disconnect Activation
    ^^x none - - none
    Timeouts: Idle EXEC Idle Session Modem Answer Session
    Dispatch
    00:10:00 never none
    not set
    Idle Session Disconnect Warning
    never
    Login-sequence User Response
    00:00:30
    Autoselect Initial Wait
    not set
    Modem type is unknown.
    Session limit is not set.
    Time since activation: never
    Editing is enabled.
    History is enabled, history size is 20.
    DNS resolution in show commands is enabled
    Full user help is disabled
    Allowed input transports are none.
    Allowed output transports are telnet ssh.
    Preferred transport is telnet.
    No output characters are padded
    No special data dispatching characters
    -------------------------

    Notice the 'noise' column, and that value of 163 since that's what
    happens when i connect using minicom and type random stuff. Though I
    don't get replies, that increases the noise count, so it must be that
    the Cisco is discarding the packets as noise.

    Does anybody know how to solve this and get it to work?

    Cheers.
    elixxir, May 30, 2006

  2. elixxir

    John Oliver Guest

    On 30 May 2006 08:35:37 -0700, elixxir wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get linux to talk to a Cisco 837 using the supplied blue
    > console cable.
    > The serial port is detected by linux and seems alright as you can see
    > below.
    >
    > /proc/tty/driver/serial
    > 0: uart:16550A port:000003F8 irq:4 tx:149 rx:121
    >
    > Tx and Rx indicate that bytes are being sent/received. Now here's the
    > thing, neither minicom nor kermit will show any output at all (i'm no
    > guru when it comes to this but i have my settings correct as in speed,
    > parity, stop bits etc..)
    >
    > Also, the cisco shows this:
    >
    > -------------------------
    > eon#show line console 0
    > Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise
    > Overruns Int
    > 0 CTY - - - - - 0 163 0/0
    > -
    >
    > Line 0, Location: "", Type: ""
    > Length: 24 lines, Width: 80 columns
    > Baud rate (TX/RX) is 9600/9600, no parity, 2 stopbits, 8 databits

    ^^^^^^^^^^

    Try "1" And I didn't see any mention of flow control... IIRC, I had to
    turn flow control off for my 29XX switches.

    * Reform California gun laws - http://www.reformcagunlaws.com/ *
    * http://www.gunownersca.com - http://www.crpa.org/ *
    * San Diego shooters come to http://shooting.forsandiego.com/ *
    John Oliver, May 30, 2006

  3. elixxir

    J Guest

    Are you using an external serial adapater (DB9 to RJ45)? If so are you
    sure you're using one with the right pinout? Confirm that both your
    cable and adapter work with a known good computer. I'll send you my
    two minicom config files as well.

    J, May 30, 2006
  4. elixxir

    elixxir Guest

    John Oliver wrote:
    > Try "1" And I didn't see any mention of flow control... IIRC, I had to
    > turn flow control off for my 29XX switches.

    I tried setting the stop bits to 1 and manually turning off flow
    control in the cisco but this had no effect. All that it records is
    still noise.

    Btw, the default config is what I posted originally but I too believed
    it should be 9600 8N1. I've checked this with multiple devices at my
    workplace and they are all set to 2 stop bits.
    elixxir, May 31, 2006
  5. elixxir

    elixxir Guest

    J wrote:
    > Are you using an external serial adapater (DB9 to RJ45)? If so are you
    > sure you're using one with the right pinout? Confirm that both your
    > cable and adapter work with a known good computer. I'll send you my
    > two minicom config files as well.

    Cheers dude. Well I'm using the light blue cisco cable as supplied with
    my router.

    The only thing is that my machine doesn't have a serial port built-in
    except for the mobo header, so I had to connect one of those adapters
    that fit in a PCI bracket and hook up to the COM header via a small
    ribbon cable. This essentially gives me an available serial port on the
    box. Do you think this adapter bracket might be wired incorrectly?

    Anyway I will go an check it on another box somehow to verify.
    elixxir, May 31, 2006
  6. David Sudjiman, May 31, 2006
  7. "elixxir" <> writes:

    >The only thing is that my machine doesn't have a serial port built-in
    >except for the mobo header, so I had to connect one of those adapters
    >that fit in a PCI bracket and hook up to the COM header via a small
    >ribbon cable.

    There are at least _two_ different pin-assignement for those headers.
    Always use that cable which came with the MoBo.

    > This essentially gives me an available serial port on the
    >box. Do you think this adapter bracket might be wired incorrectly?

    Have one of those LED-boxes ready and look at it with the port at
    rest and with minicom running. Then, use a paperclip to short the
    pin's 2 and 3; all keys pressed should come to the screen (IF you
    DISabled Hardware-Hanshake).

    Greetings, Holger
    Holger Petersen, May 31, 2006
  8. elixxir wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to get linux to talk to a Cisco 837 using the supplied blue
    > console cable.
    > The serial port is detected by linux and seems alright as you can see
    > below.
    >
    > /proc/tty/driver/serial
    > 0: uart:16550A port:000003F8 irq:4 tx:149 rx:121
    >
    > Tx and Rx indicate that bytes are being sent/received. Now here's the
    > thing, neither minicom nor kermit will show any output at all (i'm no
    > guru when it comes to this but i have my settings correct as in speed,
    > parity, stop bits etc..)

    Using kermit:

    In my home directory I have in .kermrc:
    set file type bin
    set file name lit
    set rec pack 1000
    set send pack 1000
    set window 5
    set CARRIER-WATCH OFF
    set prompt Linux Kermit>

    (The CARRIER-WATCH OFF line is the important one iirc)

    Then call kermit with:

    kermit -l /dev/ttyS0 -p n -8 -c

    I use this to connect to a variety of Cisco devices (routers, switches)

    crt
    Claude R Trepanier, May 31, 2006
  9. elixxir

    elixxir Guest

    Holger Petersen wrote:

    > "elixxir" <> writes:
    >

    > >The only thing is that my machine doesn't have a serial port built-in
    > >except for the mobo header, so I had to connect one of those adapters
    > >that fit in a PCI bracket and hook up to the COM header via a small
    > >ribbon cable.

    > There are at least _two_ different pin-assignement for those headers.
    > Always use that cable which came with the MoBo.

    Yeah, I think that you've hit the nail on the head Holger. I was using
    a bracket stolen from an old P100 since my mobo didn't come with one.

    I hadn't realized that there could be different standards for the
    header pinouts, but that seems to have been the problem. It also
    explains why the cisco was only seeing noise on the line.

    Anyway, thanks to all for your extremely helpful contributions. My
    solution was to actually take David's advice and go out and buy a
    USB-Serial converter.

    I ended up getting the Aten UC-232A

    http://www.aten.com/products/produc...915002&pid=2005022316346005&layerid=subClass4

    which works perfectly using the CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_PL2303 module in
    Linux.

    Cheers guys!
    elixxir, Jun 4, 2006