Console cable pinout for 827

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Al Savage, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Al Savage

    Al Savage Guest

    I know, I know. This has been covered again and again, but I'm still
    unsure . . . and having trouble.

    I did the usual: I bought a used 827 from you-know-where. It's supposed
    to work. It lights up fine. It shows RXD/TXD traffic on the lan OK.

    However, no Console cable came with this unit.

    I'm conversant with soldering tools and have built many cables over the
    years. Googling seems to indicate that the correct pinout should be:

    RJ45 DB9F
    1 <-> 8
    2 <-> 7
    3 <-> 6
    4 <-> 5
    5 <-> 4
    6 <-> 3
    7 <-> 2
    8 <-> 1

    RJ45: connector held with contacts up, cable toward you, contacts away
    from you, lock tab down: pin 1 = left side

    or
    > http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/pinoutnetwork.html#2

    (page down to #2)

    DB9F: View looking into the working end of the connector:
    5 4 3 2 1
    _____________
    \ o o o o o /
    \ o o o o /
    ---------
    9 8 7 6

    And 9600-8N1, no flow control.

    However, this does not seem to work for this unit (ie no response).

    I have access to a console cable for a 675 (72-1592-01), and it uses:

    RJ45 DB9F
    4 <-> 5
    5 <-> 3
    6 <-> 2

    (The remaining pins are unused; I've opened the DB9F hood to verify
    this.)
    But I fare no better using this cable than my custom one.

    Yes, I've got the table in the Install guide for the 827:
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...tion_guide_chapter09186a008009b0c6.html#14043

    Pin Function
    1 RTS
    2 DTR
    3 TXD
    4 GND
    5 GND
    6 RXD
    7 DSR
    8 CTS

    Take pity upon me and impart your accumulated wisdom on this topic.

    --
    Regards,
    Al S.

    This OS/2 system ("Tori", W4 FP17) uptime is 5 days 04:49 hours

    Al Savage, Jun 5, 2004

  2. Al Savage wrote:

    > I did the usual: I bought a used 827 from you-know-where. It's supposed
    > to work. It lights up fine. It shows RXD/TXD traffic on the lan OK.
    >
    > However, no Console cable came with this unit.

    > I'm conversant with soldering tools and have built many cables over the
    > years. Googling seems to indicate that the correct pinout should be:

    Nope, that is wrong. This is the wiring of the blue (or black)
    roll-over cable:

    RJ45 <-> RJ45
    1 <-> 8
    2 <-> 7
    3 <-> 6
    4 <-> 5
    5 <-> 4
    6 <-> 3
    7 <-> 2
    8 <-> 1

    This is the internal wiring of the db9f-rj45 adapter

    Pin Function
    1 RTS
    2 DTR
    3 TXD
    4 GND
    5 GND
    6 RXD
    7 DSR
    8 CTS

    When you use this combination you should be able to talk with the box.

    I'm using cisco console cables in a DIY project, here is a description:
    http://www.gpskit.nl/cisco-en.htm

    --
    Joop van der Velden

    Joop van der Velden, Jun 5, 2004

  3. Al Savage

    Al Savage Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:34:38 UTC, Joop van der Velden <>
    wrote:

    Hello:

    [Description of the two-piece Cisco cabling: crossover cable + adapter
    block]

    > This is the wiring of the blue (or black) roll-over cable:
    >
    > RJ45 <-> RJ45
    > 1 <-> 8
    > 2 <-> 7
    > 3 <-> 6
    > 4 <-> 5
    > 5 <-> 4
    > 6 <-> 3
    > 7 <-> 2
    > 8 <-> 1
    >
    > This is the internal wiring of the db9f-rj45 adapter
    >
    > Pin Function
    > 1 RTS
    > 2 DTR
    > 3 TXD
    > 4 GND
    > 5 GND
    > 6 RXD
    > 7 DSR
    > 8 CTS

    > When you use this combination you should be able to talk with the box.
    >
    > I'm using cisco console cables in a DIY project, here is a description:
    > http://www.gpskit.nl/cisco-en.htm

    Thank you for your kind help.

    For anybody who may search Usenet in the future for a console cable
    wiring diagram or pinout for a Cisco 827, here is the end-to-end:

    RJ45 <-> DB9F
    1 <-> 8
    2 <-> 6
    3 <-> 2

    4 <-> 5
    5 <-> 5 Both tied together

    6 <-> 3
    7 <-> 4
    8 <-> 7

    This works for my 827. Again, Joop, my Thanks!

    --
    Regards,
    Al S.

    This OS/2 system ("Tori", W4 FP17) uptime is 5 days 19:17 hours

    Al Savage, Jun 5, 2004