    I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
    a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
    or method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

    Harley D., Oct 20, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    Harley D. <> wrote:
    :I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
    :a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
    :eek:r method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

    Lower the port speed. The slower you go, the further you can run RS232.

    I would not have thought 200' should be a difficulty in a typical
    environment, if you have hardware flow control turned on and are
    going no more than 38400 bps. In my experience, 9600 bps would
    very likely work at 200' unless the environment has a lot of
    electrical noise.

    What problems are you seeing? If you are not getting any output
    at all, then you likely have some other problem. If your run was
    too long for RS232 then the symptoms would tend to be visible noise on
    the line rendering the line too unreliable for use.
    --
    "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

    Walter Roberson, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Harley D.

    S. Gione Guest

    One possibility is the pin-out.

    The pin-out for a console cable is different than 568A or 568B which is used
    on station cable.

    If you have a console cable at one end of the connection pin-out should not
    be the problem. If you are just making a connection with a 200 foot drop
    cable, this might be the problem.

    Pin-out for console cable is:

    1-8
    2-6
    3-2
    1+5-5
    6-3
    7-4
    8-7

    S. Gione, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Harley D.

    Brad Hill Guest

    It's also true that shielded cable gives you longer range than
    unshielded, and also line drivers can also extend the range of serial
    cable runs also. But I expect you want to use an existing run of UTP
    Cat5, right?

    Brad Hill, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Harley D.

    Dale Farmer Guest

    "Harley D." wrote:

    > I have a Cat5 cable I am trying to use to connect my access server to
    > a switch at about 200' it does not work (surprised). Is there a trick
    > or method I can use to get it to work over that distance?

    Slow down the port speed. Use a real serial data cable that meets the
    RS232 spec. ( Cat five is close but not exact. ) Line drivers may also
    be needed.

    --Dale

    Dale Farmer, Oct 21, 2003