    it....
    Does anyone know the correct name or part number for this cable?
    thanks for any help.

    tg, Nov 22, 2008

  2. tg

    bod43 Guest

    On Nov 22, 9:28 pm, "tg" <> wrote:
    > Cisco 7940 ip phone:
    > there's a port on the base of this phone labeled RS-232 (also labeled
    > AUX), it's for a 6pin RJ-11 male plug. I'm having great difficulty
    > getting the console cable for this port so I've decided to make one
    > myself. I'm assuming the other end of the cable is a DB9 serial
    > connector, is that correct?
    > Does anyone know the pinout config for this cable? or where I could find
    > it....
    > Does anyone know the correct name or part number for this cable?
    > thanks for any help.

    No idea what it is useful for - what is it useful for?

    However:-

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voi.../administration/guide/7900spc7.html#wp1003725

    Seems to have a pinout for it. Maybe:)

    RJ-11 jack for console access (labeled AUX or RS232).
    Table C-3 Access Port Connector Pinouts
    Pin Number Function
    1
    RD+

    2
    RD-

    3
    TD+

    4
    Not Used

    5
    Not Used

    6
    TD-

    7
    Not Used

    8
    Not Used

    bod43, Nov 23, 2008

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    tg, Nov 23, 2008
  4. tg

    bod43 Guest

    On Nov 23, 1:50 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > "bod43" <> wrote in message

    > On Nov 22, 9:28 pm, "tg" <> wrote:
    >
    > No idea what it is useful for - what is it useful for?
    >
    > However:-
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/4_1_...
    > <snip>
    >
    > thanks for your response bod, I've seen the above document but it only
    > refers to the 8pin network ports (this phone has two), there's nothing
    > about the (third) 6pin RJ-11 port.

    Oh yes, sorry. Table headings confused me.

    This looks like it. No idea if the site is "trustworthy".
    Buyer beware.

    http://www.pluscom.ru/cisco_product...ipphon/english/ipp7960/admin/4_0/7900con7.htm

    (there was a cisco page but it has gone)
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td...ipphon/english/ipp7960/admin/4_0/7900con7.htm

    I have pasted the raw text from the page in below for reference.
    It is not very big.

    Hope it doesn't cause too much trouble to anyone's reader:)

    ###############
    Table Of Contents
    Console Access

    Console Cable Requirements

    Connecting the Console

    Using the Console for Troubleshooting

    Console Access

    The Cisco IP Phone provides console access through a port labeled
    RS-232. This port is located on the back of the phone, next to the
    port labeled 10/100 SW. You can use the RS-232 port to connect a PC to
    the phone for troubleshooting and debugging.

    This appendix includes the following sections:

    • Console Cable Requirements

    • Connecting the Console

    • Using the Console for Troubleshooting

    Console Cable Requirements
    You use a serial cable with a connector to connect a PC and a phone.
    The cable uses an RJ-11 connector for the phone and an RJ-45 connector
    to an RJ-45-to-DB9 converter for the PC. Table D-1 shows the pinout
    requirements for the console cable.

    Table D-1 Console Cable Pinouts
    RJ-11 Connector RJ-45 Connector
    Pin 2
    Pin 6

    Pin 3
    Pin 4

    Pin 4
    Pin 3

    Connecting the Console
    To connect a console the a phone, verify that the following criteria
    are met:

    •Serial port on the PC is set to 9600 BAUD, databit 8, no parity, stop
    bit 1, and no flow control.

    •No Cisco 7914 Expansion Modules are connected to the phone. If an
    expansion module is connected, remove it. Also, remove it from the
    phone in the Cisco CallManager Administration Device Configuration
    page.

    To access the phone from the PC, use a program that lets you access
    other devices through a PC COM port. The login password for accessing
    the Cisco IP Phone is cisco.

    Using the Console for Troubleshooting
    In some cases, a phone may not be able to load a valid application
    from the TFTP server. This problem can occur if there is no
    application on the TFTP server, if DHCP is not configured correctly in
    the network, or if TFTP is not configured correctly on the phone.

    To correct this problem, follow these steps:

    Procedure

    Step 1 Connect to and access the console as described in the the
    "Connecting the Console" section.

    Step 2 At the console, enter the following commands.

    a. set tftp-addr tftp_server_ip_address

    where tftp_server_ip_address is the IP address of the TFTP server.

    b. set def-rtr default_router_ip_address

    where default_router_ip_address is the IP address of the default
    gateway router.

    c. set dchp on or set dhcp off

    depending on whether DCHP is used in your network.

    Step 3 If you set DCHP off in Step 2, type the following commands.
    Otherwise, continue to Step 4.

    a. set ip-addr phone_ip_address

    where phone_ip_address is the IP address of the phone.

    b. set subnet phone_subnet_mask

    where phone_ip_address is the subnet mask of the phone.

    Step 4 Type save.

    Step 5 Exit the connection to the phone.

    bod43, Nov 23, 2008
  5. tg

    bod43 Guest

    On Nov 23, 2:57 am, bod43 <> wrote:
    > On Nov 23, 1:50 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "bod43" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 22, 9:28 pm, "tg" <> wrote:

    > > No idea what it is useful for - what is it useful for?

    > > However:-

    > >http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7960g_7940g/4_1_...
    > > <snip>

    > > thanks for your response bod, I've seen the above document but it only
    > > refers to the 8pin network ports (this phone has two), there's nothing
    > > about the (third) 6pin RJ-11 port.

    > Oh yes, sorry. Table headings confused me.
    >
    > This looks like it. No idea if the site is "trustworthy".
    > Buyer beware.
    >
    > http://www.pluscom.ru/cisco_product/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/...
    >
    > (there was a cisco page but it has gone)http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/englis...
    >
    > I have pasted the raw text from the page in below for reference.
    > It is not very big.
    >
    > Hope it doesn't cause too much trouble to anyone's reader:)

    You probably have this - but just in case -
    Firmware upgrade procedures.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voi...g/mgcp/firmware/matrix/frmwrup.html#wp1049043

    bod43, Nov 23, 2008
  6. tg

    tg Guest

    "bod43" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 23, 1:50 am, "tg" <> wrote:

    http://www.pluscom.ru/cisco_product...ipphon/english/ipp7960/admin/4_0/7900con7.htm
    -----------------------

    that's a great link bod thanks. Why can't I ever find these pages when
    I'm trawling google at 2am in the morning?
    the page talks of an RJ-11 to RJ-45 cable and then an RJ-45 to DB9
    converter.
    I'd like to make a straight cable but if I can't make a straight through
    RJ-11 to DB9 cable then at least I know I can get the converter .

    tg, Nov 23, 2008
  7. In article
    <>,
    bod43 <> wrote:
    > On Nov 22, 9:28 pm, "tg" <> wrote:
    > > Cisco 7940 ip phone:
    > > there's a port on the base of this phone labeled RS-232 (also labeled
    > > AUX), it's for a 6pin RJ-11 male plug. I'm having great difficulty
    > > getting the console cable for this port so I've decided to make one
    > > myself. I'm assuming the other end of the cable is a DB9 serial
    > > connector, is that correct?
    > > Does anyone know the pinout config for this cable? or where I could find
    > > it....
    > > Does anyone know the correct name or part number for this cable?
    > > thanks for any help.

    > No idea what it is useful for - what is it useful for?

    You can't make a console connection to a Cisco IP Phone, in the same way
    that you can 'console' to a switch or router. All configuration is through
    a file dynamically built by CallManager which is TFTP'd at boot time.

    I suspect the AUX connection is for the add-on Expansion Module, which
    provides additional line keys (in addition to the two on a 7940).

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne

    Matthew Melbourne, Nov 23, 2008
  8. In article <49298110$0$1346$>,
    tg <> wrote:

    > "bod43" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 23, 1:50 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    >
    > http://www.pluscom.ru/cisco_product...ipphon/english/ipp7960/admin/4_0/7900con7.htm
    > -----------------------
    >
    > that's a great link bod thanks. Why can't I ever find these pages when
    > I'm trawling google at 2am in the morning?
    > the page talks of an RJ-11 to RJ-45 cable and then an RJ-45 to DB9
    > converter.
    > I'd like to make a straight cable but if I can't make a straight through
    > RJ-11 to DB9 cable then at least I know I can get the converter .

    Ah, seems I was wrong; it *is* possible to console an IP Phone. You learn
    something everyday! :)

    Cheers,

    Matt

    --
    Matthew Melbourne

    Matthew Melbourne, Nov 23, 2008
  9. tg

    tg Guest

    "bod43" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 23, 1:50 am, "tg" <> wrote:
    > "bod43" <> wrote in message

    hey bod I did it. I made an RJ-11 to DB9 cable and it works.
    The pin config is:

    RJ11 DB9
    pin pin
    2 ------- 3
    3 ------- 5

    I connected the cable to the phone but it doesn't work in hyperterminal.
    The keys do nothing, just a blank screen and flashing cursor. The thing
    that did work however was a command prompt. You have to know the ip
    address of the phone though so DHCP has to work before doing this.
    Start/Run/command/ok.
    Then in the Dos box type:> telnet <phone ip address>
    password = cisco
    and then you can access the phone by command line.

    tg, Nov 23, 2008