    --
    "Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
    www.geocities.com/ldavison10

    Lee Davison, Aug 31, 2004

  2. Lee Davison wrote:

    > Win2k/OE6/IE6/AMD2.2XP
    >
    > Sometimes the computer locks and I have to reset. I then get "windows is
    > checking for consistency on drive F". I seem to remember this happened
    > before and I lost the contents of a drive. Is this normal? If so, why is
    > it not checking C which is the O/S drive? This might happen after every 15
    > - 20 hrs of computer time.

    The drive windows is booting from has to be mounted read/writable, and can
    therefore only be checked on (re)boot. If you use ntfs for 2K or XP, it's
    journalling feature will probably avoid the fsck (although some open files
    may end up deleted or filled with garbage).

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Aug 31, 2004

  3. Lee Davison

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Lee Davison" <> wrote in

    > Sometimes the computer locks and I have to reset. I then get "windows
    > is
    > checking for consistency on drive F". I seem to remember this happened
    > before and I lost the contents of a drive. Is this normal? If so, why
    > is it not checking C which is the O/S drive? This might happen after
    > every 15 - 20 hrs of computer time.

    If you use the NTFS file system, the computer knows whether or not a check
    is necessary, so it won't just randomly check drive c. Apparently only
    drive f is being corrupted, or drive c is using the older FAT32 file
    system.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 2, 2004