    use two CAD packages, and one has been optimized for AMD the other for the
    P4, so overall performance-wise it is a wash.

    TIA

    Edge, May 28, 2004

  2. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Edge" <> wrote in
    news:9aNtc.4580$:

    > The CAD software companies are not providing much info on 64 bit
    > other than to say the advantage now is it will support 4 GB RAM, which
    > I don't need. Typically the "full-time" useful life for this type
    > machine is about 3 yrs, after which time it could be used for less
    > intensive work. I use two CAD packages, and one has been optimized
    > for AMD the other for the P4, so overall performance-wise it is a
    > wash.

    The Athlon 64 (aside from being able to run 64-bit programs) also has an
    onboard memory controller, which speeds things up regardless of if it is a
    64-bit program or not.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, May 29, 2004

  3. Edge

    Michael-NC Guest

    Obsolescence of the 32 bit computing platform is absolutely not an issue.
    You have no cause for concern whatsoever.

    "Edge" <> wrote in message
    > My concern is if obsolescence is a factor with a 32 bit processor, if
    > future software will be written for 64 bit machines. This is a mid-level
    > workstation used for mechanical CAD and other business apps. The OS would

    be

    Michael-NC, May 29, 2004