Considering migrating from ME to XP Professional...Opinions & "Gotcha's" please

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Scenario......

    One Laptop on 2000pro, rock solid everything ok.
    Desktop on ME, slightly flaky.

    I have them networked wirelessly, but ICS is a pain.

    I am considering going to XPPRO on the desktop ($150 upgrade), mainly to
    improve my networking as well as using it as an excuse for a bloody good
    clean out.

    What do you think?

    As another thought can I use ICS and have both machines as the server so
    that whatever machine is currently connected to the net, the other will use
    that connection? Or does one have to be set up as the server?

    --
    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi
    Southern Kiwi, Mar 22, 2005

  2. Southern Kiwi

    David Preece Guest

    Re: Considering migrating from ME to XP Professional...Opinions &"Gotcha's" please

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Desktop on ME, slightly flaky.

    No shit.

    > I am considering going to XPPRO on the desktop ($150 upgrade), mainly to
    > improve my networking as well as using it as an excuse for a bloody good
    > clean out.
    >
    > What do you think?

    Bout f'n time, that's what.

    > As another thought can I use ICS and have both machines as the server so
    > that whatever machine is currently connected to the net, the other will use
    > that connection? Or does one have to be set up as the server?

    You'd be better off setting one up as the server. The best option of all
    is to have a hardware firewall/address translator and just hook them
    both into that.

    Dave
    David Preece, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Southern Kiwi

    Mackin Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > Scenario......
    >
    > One Laptop on 2000pro, rock solid everything ok.
    > Desktop on ME, slightly flaky.
    >
    > I have them networked wirelessly, but ICS is a pain.
    >
    > I am considering going to XPPRO on the desktop ($150 upgrade), mainly to
    > improve my networking as well as using it as an excuse for a bloody good
    > clean out.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > As another thought can I use ICS and have both machines as the server so
    > that whatever machine is currently connected to the net, the other will
    > use that connection? Or does one have to be set up as the server?

    XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me machine?
    Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the machine is low on
    RAM.

    Mackin
    Mackin, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Mackin <> wrote in

    > XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me
    > machine? Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the
    > machine is low on RAM.
    >
    > Mackin

    Exactly.

    Just make the ME box a m0n0wall or IPcop or something. Maybe Contribs.org?

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 22, 2005
  5. "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Mackin <> wrote in
    >
    > > XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me
    > > machine? Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the
    > > machine is low on RAM.

    > Exactly.
    > Just make the ME box a m0n0wall or IPcop or something. Maybe

    Contribs.org?

    128mb RAM, enough?
    Southern Kiwi, Mar 23, 2005
  6. Southern Kiwi

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in

    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> Mackin <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > XP is a much better OS than Me. But what are the specs of the Me
    >> > machine? Does it have enough RAM for XP? XP can be a PITA if the
    >> > machine is low on RAM.

    >> Exactly.
    >> Just make the ME box a m0n0wall or IPcop or something. Maybe

    > Contribs.org?
    >>

    > 128mb RAM, enough?

    128 megs of ram for an XP box that does nothing but ICS, yes. But if it
    is just going to sit there, use another OS...
    It will be painful to use XP with 128.
    Try it and see. Blackviper services guide can do wonders, like get XP
    down to 70 megs, but then you need to add in all the other stuff that
    actually makes for a useful, safer, windows machine and you are back with
    a slow machine that needs more RAM.
    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 24, 2005