Considering MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by BNStan, Nov 19, 2007.

  1. BNStan

    BNStan Guest

    I have recently just started out in IT and have only been operating in this
    field for about 6months. (Honestly, its been admin, admin & more admin. With
    a little IT thrown in! So I haven't learned a lot in terms of MCDST
    certification)

    I would like to train and gain some qualifications. I notice looking at some
    of the posts this may be an ideal place to start. However, two things concern
    me.

    1 - with vista out now. Is training with the current edition of books and
    study guides enough?
    2 - on one post, someone mentioned, "For the most part certifications are
    designed to prove you already know something".

    (The second means am stuffed. I have learned some new skills in the past 6
    months. However it is no where near enough to consider a certification)

    Is this a good certification to start my career with or should I be looking
    elsewhere?

    Thanks in advance.

    BNStan, Nov 19, 2007

  2. BNStan wrote:
    > I have recently just started out in IT and have only been operating in this
    > field for about 6months. (Honestly, its been admin, admin & more admin. With
    > a little IT thrown in! So I haven't learned a lot in terms of MCDST
    > certification)
    >
    > I would like to train and gain some qualifications. I notice looking at some
    > of the posts this may be an ideal place to start. However, two things concern
    > me.
    >
    > 1 - with vista out now. Is training with the current edition of books and
    > study guides enough?
    > 2 - on one post, someone mentioned, "For the most part certifications are
    > designed to prove you already know something".
    >
    > (The second means am stuffed. I have learned some new skills in the past 6
    > months. However it is no where near enough to consider a certification)
    >
    > Is this a good certification to start my career with or should I be looking
    > elsewhere?
    >
    > Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    In my opinion, MCDST is a great place for you to start. Go over the
    exam objectives and determine your areas of strength and weakness. Make
    a point of truly learning (and implementing) the technologies that you
    lack experience in.

    Also, consider the CompTIA A+ exam. You'll cover a lot of ground
    learning what you'll need to pass that one, too.

    Just because you don't have the experience to pass an exam now, doesn't
    mean you shouldn't set your learning path with the certification as a
    goal. To relate, I've been working towards a certain certification that
    I feel that I could pass no problem, but since I lack the experience, I
    have to wait it out another year before I can achieve the designation.

    Welcome to the fold,

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Nov 19, 2007

  3. BNStan

    Ronald Guest

    Hi,

    I understand where you are coming from. I will suggest you pursue your A+
    certification first because this certification will provide you with
    foundatioin of computer hardware and software. Disassembling and
    reassembling computers and understanding each component and how it works will
    give you well rounded knowledge in the IT Field.

    Best Regards

    Ronald, Dec 11, 2007