    jpeg has low gamma on screen, as predicted in the instruction manual.
    That is one (manageable) consequence. Are there others?

    --David
    David Ellis, Oct 14, 2003

  2. David Ellis

    bmoag Guest

    As I understand it:
    sRGB has a more limited range of colors (gamut) than Adobe RGB and should
    be avoided for general photo use.

    The color range/gamut of sRGB is intended for a limited palate, such as Web
    pages and may actually look better on your notebook monitor: LCD screens
    have limited color range and contrast compared to CRTs and are not reliable
    for judging color in your images. I ended up giving away (well, to my son!)
    an expensive desktop LCD because it was just impossible to calibrate for
    color with the LCD monitor: I much preferred the LCD for general computer
    work otherwise.

    You may want to rethink about using jepg. Every time you modify and save the
    file it degrades to some degree due to the nature of most jpeg compression
    schemes. It really is best to keep images in *.tif or some other lossless
    file type. Although tif files are larger, if you are using Photoshop then I
    assume you must have adequate RAM, hard drive space and a CD burner.

    It is generally best to be consistent about the color space you work in:
    Photoshop 5 and later allow you to convert and keep all images in one color
    workspace. In Photoshop 7 this is done by setting the edit/color settings
    without having an image open. You also need to decide on your printer driver
    settings, presuming you are using an inkjet photoprinter, if the driver
    allows you to set gamma or other parameters. Basic printer settings are
    different depending on the paper type.

    All of this means nothing if you are happy with the results you are getting.
    Your eye/LCD/printer may be very happy in an sRGB world.

    There are a lot of web sites that have good explanations about this
    difficult color managment issue and it is worth the time to read through
    them.
    bmoag, Oct 14, 2003

  3. David Ellis

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:27:29 -0700, in this august
    forum, David Ellis <> said:

    >With respect to inkjet printing, and editing the jpeg files in
    >Photoshop, what are the consequences of using the Adobe RGB setting in
    >the 10D instead of using the default sRGB? (I rarely use RAW.) I
    >understand the different color spaces and i want maximum color space
    >for editing.
    >
    >I'm editing on a notebook computer with a TFT screen to which I have
    >become accustomed when using a sRGB camera and that color space in
    >Photoshop. Working in Photoshop's RGB color space, the 10D Adobe RGB
    >jpeg has low gamma on screen, as predicted in the instruction manual.
    >That is one (manageable) consequence. Are there others?

    No, that's pretty much it. I photograph in RAW & process in Adobe RGB
    '98 & 16 bit mode (on an LCD screen) without any problems. The only
    other thing I can think of is that you should be careful to match the
    colour space of your output device when processing for printing, but
    that's true regardless of the colour space you're editing in.

    PS: One 'gotcha' with editing on a laptop is that laptop LCDs often have
    limited tonal resolution, compared to CRTs or desktop LCDs. I'd be
    tempted to plug in a CRT into the laptop when doing serious 'art'
    editing.

    Lionel, Oct 16, 2003