consensus required

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by miss construed, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?
    miss construed, Aug 28, 2003

  2. miss construed

    Raine Guest

    Oh most definately down the back. ;o)
    Raine

    Raine, Aug 28, 2003

  3. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:20:21 GMT, miss construed wrote

    > When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    > hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    Front: displays the pattern -- if there is one -- rather than the
    back-side (ooooo.....unfortunate phrase) of the paper.

    I remember this being addressed by Dear Abby (or her sister Ann) in
    about 1963, when asked to settle a dispute between hubby and wife. Her
    first answer was basically to get a life -- or at least find something
    real to argue about.

    She did a follow-up column when her post-bag filled up with people
    saying "no, no: we argue about this all the time", and -- still
    maintaining it was the ultimate stupid thing to argue about -- found an
    Emily Post or similar reference for the "hang down in front" practice.

    For. What. It's. Worth.

    --
    Cheers, Harvey
    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 28, 2003
  4. If you have small children who like to spin the roll mount it backwards since they almost always spin it forwards; Otherwise down the front because it's easier and faster to find the end ... like if you're in boot camp and only have 15 seconds for a headcall.

    Ratt Atttat Dat, Aug 28, 2003
  5. miss construed

    bb3 Guest

    "miss construed" <> wrote in message

    > When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    > hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    Front.

    "And my wife agrees (go figure)."
    bb3, Aug 28, 2003
  6. miss construed

    jimPKP Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST.com wrote:
    > Well, apparently my lazy husband thinks it sits vertical, on top of
    > the roll holder.
    >
    > --Tina
    >
    > "miss construed" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    >> hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    Divorce the fool

    --
    ---
    | jim | PKP |
    jimPKP, Aug 28, 2003
  7. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:20:21 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind boggled
    at the following statement by miss construed in message

    > When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    > hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    I just keep old Sears catalogs handy (face up, of course).

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    No of SETI units returned: 2013
    The Old Sourdough, Aug 28, 2003
  8. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:27:47 +0100, Harvey Van Sickle
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:20:21 GMT, miss construed wrote
    >

    >> When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    >> hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    >Front: displays the pattern -- if there is one -- rather than the
    >back-side (ooooo.....unfortunate phrase) of the paper.
    >
    >I remember this being addressed by Dear Abby (or her sister Ann) in
    >about 1963, when asked to settle a dispute between hubby and wife. Her
    >first answer was basically to get a life -- or at least find something
    >real to argue about.
    >
    >She did a follow-up column when her post-bag filled up with people
    >saying "no, no: we argue about this all the time", and -- still
    >maintaining it was the ultimate stupid thing to argue about -- found an
    >Emily Post or similar reference for the "hang down in front" practice.
    >
    >For. What. It's. Worth.

    Havey - thanks for that informative disertation. And for your
    memory going back *that* far
    miss construed, Aug 28, 2003
  9. On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:56:52 GMT, miss construed wrote
    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:27:47 +0100, Harvey Van Sickle
    ><> wrote:

    -snip re: hangin' in front or hangin' behind-

    >> I remember this being addressed by Dear Abby (or her sister Ann)
    >> in about 1963, when asked to settle a dispute between hubby and
    >> wife. Her first answer was basically to get a life -- or at
    >> least find something real to argue about.
    >>
    >> She did a follow-up column when her post-bag filled up with
    >> people saying "no, no: we argue about this all the time", and --
    >> still maintaining it was the ultimate stupid thing to argue about
    >> -- found an Emily Post or similar reference for the "hang down in
    >> front" practice.
    >>
    >> For. What. It's. Worth.

    > Havey - thanks for that informative disertation. And for your
    > memory going back *that* far

    You don't get to choose what you remember......gettin' old ain't for
    sissies..... ;)

    (And no, thank-you-very-much: I have *no* idea why I remembered
    that.....)

    --
    Cheers, Harvey
    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 28, 2003
  10. "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as The Old Sourdough

    continued:

    > > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:20:21 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    > > boggled at the following statement by miss construed in message
    > >

    > >> When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    > >> hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    > > I just keep old Sears catalogs handy (face up, of course).

    > Sears smears.

    lma... uhhhh... nevermind....

    Down the front if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, down the back , if in
    the Southern Hemisphere ;-)
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 28, 2003
  11. miss construed

    Donna Guest

    It is down the front always.......

    Donna

    Donna, Aug 29, 2003
  12. miss construed

    Juan Pérez Guest

    slumpy <> wrote in message

    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as The Old Sourdough

    continued:

    > > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:20:21 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    > > boggled at the following statement by miss construed in message
    > >

    > >> When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the

    paper
    > >> hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    > > I just keep old Sears catalogs handy (face up, of course).

    > Sears smears.

    Not if you don't use the slick pages.
    Juan Pérez, Aug 29, 2003
  13. miss construed

    gangle Guest

    "The Old Sourdough" wrote

    > > When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    > > hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    > I just keep old Sears catalogs handy (face up, of course).

    Sears hasn't had a catalog in years. You must be close
    to running out of ass wipes. What's next...leaves?
    gangle, Aug 29, 2003
  14. Ahhhhh... waste perfectly good drinking water!! ;-)

    Think about all those poor, innocent third world countries that don't even
    have running water!!

    Sentient Fluid, Aug 29, 2003
  15. miss construed wrote:

    > When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    > hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    Over the top. If it's under, the cat will get it and scatter it all over the
    house.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 29, 2003
  16. miss construed

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Tina - AffordableHOST.com mused:

    | Well, apparently my lazy husband thinks it sits vertical, on top of the
    | roll holder.

    It may not be necessarily lazy ... I usually leave a roll on the spindle
    for company, but have another roll "loose" that I can grab and use. I don't
    like using a roll on a spindle ...

    In reference to the original question, though, my answer would be: The
    correct answer is whichever way the person responsible for rent/house
    payment prefers it. There is no right answer concerning matters of
    preference.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 29, 2003
  17. miss construed

    mhicaoidh Guest

    mhicaoidh, Aug 29, 2003
  18. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:55:21 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind boggled
    at the following statement by Juan Pérez in message

    > slumpy <> wrote in message
    >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"

    >> threw back my head and roared with laughter as The Old Sourdough

    > continued:
    >>
    >> > On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:20:21 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    >> > boggled at the following statement by miss construed in message

    > paper
    >> >
    >> > I just keep old Sears catalogs handy (face up, of course).

    >> Sears smears.

    > Not if you don't use the slick pages.

    Right on! I use only vintage catalogs, no slick pages.

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 29, 2003
  19. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 02:15:08 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind boggled
    at the following statement by gangle in message news:homdna26RtSwKtOiRVn-

    > "The Old Sourdough" wrote
    >> >
    >> > When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    >> > hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    >> I just keep old Sears catalogs handy (face up, of course).

    > Sears hasn't had a catalog in years. You must be close
    > to running out of ass wipes. What's next...leaves?

    I've got a collection of vintage catalogs. When the Sears' catalogs are gone,
    I'll start on the Monkey Wards...

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 29, 2003
  20. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 07:48:57 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, my mind
    boggled at the following statement by Gary G. Taylor in message

    > miss construed wrote:
    >

    >> When a roll of toilet paper is mounted on the wall, should the paper
    >> hang down the front of the roll or the back of the roll?

    > Over the top. If it's under, the cat will get it and scatter it all over
    > the house.

    Been there, done that. I remember once tracing back almost an entire double
    roll of (name brand deleted) TP that our demented feline had decided didn't
    belong on the roll. He went through every room in the house at least three
    times, trailing paper behind him, and that damn' stuff never did break.

    The Old Sourdough, Aug 29, 2003