Connectivity Problems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by andreas.schnell@creativez.de, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. Guest

    I have a problem with a Router back-to-back Connection and I hope somebody could help me with this.

    Encapsulation is Frame-Relay IETF and I configured on both routers a S0.1.

    Routing works via RIP.

    Heres a snapshot of one of them :

    interface Serial0
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    no logging event subif-link-status
    no fair-queue
    frame-relay lmi-type ansi
    !
    interface Serial0.1 point-to-point
    ip address 218.198.198.3 255.255.255.0
    frame-relay interface-dlci 100
    !

    Both Serial Interfaces are in the same subnet and the RIP Routing is on network 218.198.198.0
    The problem is, that the Protocl of both serial interfaces won't come up.

    Can somebody help me with this issue ?

    cheers

    Andy
    , Dec 25, 2003

  2. Steinar Haug Guest

    []

    | I have a problem with a Router back-to-back Connection and I hope somebody could help me with this.
    |
    | Encapsulation is Frame-Relay IETF and I configured on both routers a S0.1.
    |
    | Routing works via RIP.
    |
    | Heres a snapshot of one of them :
    |
    | interface Serial0
    | no ip address
    | encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    | no logging event subif-link-status
    | no fair-queue
    | frame-relay lmi-type ansi
    | !
    | interface Serial0.1 point-to-point
    | ip address 218.198.198.3 255.255.255.0
    | frame-relay interface-dlci 100
    | !
    |

    | Both Serial Interfaces are in the same subnet and the RIP Routing is on network 218.198.198.0
    | The problem is, that the Protocl of both serial interfaces won't come up.

    When using Frame Relay encapsulation, the router expects to be connected
    to a device speaking LMI, normally a Frame Relay switch. Since you have
    two routers back to back, you can do either of the following:

    - Turn off keepalive on each interface, then it won't be expecting LMI.
    - Configure one of the routers as a Frame Relay switch ("frame-relay
    switching" in global configuration mode, "frame-relay intf-type dce"
    on the physical interface).

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,
    Steinar Haug, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Guest

    > When using Frame Relay encapsulation, the router expects to be connected
    > to a device speaking LMI, normally a Frame Relay switch. Since you have
    > two routers back to back, you can do either of the following:
    >
    > - Turn off keepalive on each interface, then it won't be expecting LMI.
    > - Configure one of the routers as a Frame Relay switch ("frame-relay
    > switching" in global configuration mode, "frame-relay intf-type dce"
    > on the physical interface).

    I turned off the keepalive and now it's working perfect, except that I still can't exchange pings, although on both sites the IP's are properly configured but I guess as soon as I map the IP to the dlci's this problem will be hopefully solved too.

    Thanks for your help

    Andy
    , Dec 27, 2003