Connections TV Series on DVD - $395.00!!! Bwaahaahaaa!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Riffraff, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    Hey everyone,

    I've been looking for the Connections TV Series on DVD (I have old VHS copies dubbed
    off of PBS) and finally found it available on a website called www.documentary-video.com

    Much to my dismay, they are charging $395.00 for the whole series of 10 episodes. Actually,
    they're listing it on sale at $149.99 but that is still way too much for them to be charging for a
    series created back in 1979 and with very little in the way of production value or DVD extras.

    When a box set such as a Star Trek season set sells at Walmart for $100.00, I can see
    paying that much because of the production value ($100+ million per season) plus the DVD
    extras but what they're charging for Connections is just plain insane!!!

    The Connections series cost less than a million to produce back in 1978 and there are no
    DVD extras offered, not even a remastered version of the series with improved audio.

    So what I'm asking is this: does anyone know of an alternate place to get this series?

    I remember when the COSMOS boxset first became available from www.carlsagan.com for
    a whopping $169.00. It didn't take too long before it was selling at Best Buy for just $69.99
    (I actually saw a copy of it there last week!).

    Any help would be appreciated.

    James
    Riffraff, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Riffraff

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Riffraff
    <I'> wrote:

    > Hey everyone,
    >
    > I've been looking for the Connections TV Series on DVD (I have old VHS copies
    > dubbed
    > off of PBS) and finally found it available on a website called
    > www.documentary-video.com

    Glad it's finally out, as I've been looking for it as well.

    > Much to my dismay, they are charging $395.00 for the whole series of 10
    > episodes. Actually,
    > they're listing it on sale at $149.99 but that is still way too much for them
    > to be charging for a
    > series created back in 1979 and with very little in the way of production
    > value or DVD extras.
    >
    > When a box set such as a Star Trek season set sells at Walmart for $100.00, I
    > can see
    > paying that much because of the production value ($100+ million per season)
    > plus the DVD
    > extras but what they're charging for Connections is just plain insane!!!

    They don't expect to sell many, with the main market being schools and
    universities. A dvd with a print run of 5,000 will have a higher price
    then one with a print run of 500,000.

    > The Connections series cost less than a million to produce back in 1978 and
    > there are no
    > DVD extras offered, not even a remastered version of the series with improved
    > audio.
    >
    > So what I'm asking is this: does anyone know of an alternate place to get
    > this series?
    >
    > I remember when the COSMOS boxset first became available from
    > www.carlsagan.com for
    > a whopping $169.00. It didn't take too long before it was selling at Best Buy
    > for just $69.99
    > (I actually saw a copy of it there last week!).

    Took 3 or 4 years, actually. I got it for around $120 when it first
    came out.

    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Time is your friend. Wait a few years, and/or try and get it used on
    Ebay.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Riffraff

    luminos Guest

    Cosmos is 89.995 at Best Buy...you probably saw a mistake.
    luminos, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:07:53 -0700, "luminos" <> wrote:

    >Cosmos is 89.995 at Best Buy...you probably saw a mistake.

    Nope! The reason I know it was $69.99 is because that was
    the price tag printed on the box, which is why I bought it!!!

    Riffraff
    Riffraff, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Riffraff

    Riffraff Guest

    On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:07:10 -0400, Invid Fan <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Riffraff
    ><I'> wrote:
    >>
    >>Connections on DVD (snip) available at www.documentary-video.com
    >>
    >>They are charging $395.00 for the whole series of 10 episodes. (snip)

    >They don't expect to sell many, with the main market being schools and
    >universities. A dvd with a print run of 5,000 will have a higher price
    >then one with a print run of 500,000.

    You're absolutely right so I'll have to agree with you.

    >> COSMOS first became available from www.carlsagan.com for $169.00.
    >> It didn't take too long before it was selling at Best Buy for just $69.99
    >> (I actually saw a copy of it there last week!).

    >Took 3 or 4 years, actually. I got it for around $120 when it first
    >came out.

    I'll have to disagree with you here as I picked up my first copy of it from
    Best Buy about 9 or 10 months after it was first released. I also paid $120.
    The second copy I really purchased for only $69.99, believe it or not!!!

    >Time is your friend. Wait a few years, and/or try and get it used on Ebay.

    Nay, no Ebay scrounging for me... I'll wait 'em out until it's at Best Buy....

    Riffraff
    Riffraff, Oct 26, 2003