    not available: it then connects without difficulty to open unsecured networks.

    Thanks for any assistance
    Lucette
    =?Utf-8?B?THVjZQ==?=, Aug 7, 2007

  2. You may want to uncheck “Automatically connectâ€. Or this post may help,

    Connect to my wireless only not unsecured wireless
    At home, I have two wireless connections in my laptop. How can I force the wireless connections use one connecting to cable modem?..
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=2053#2053

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Luce" <> wrote in message news:...
    We recently installed a wireless router, with WPA. The networked laptops
    both connect fine to unsecured wireless networks, but only sometimes connect
    to our own secured network. Typically, it will be necessary to "refresh
    network list", then press "connect" to our network. Sometimes it will work,
    sometimes not. When it does work, it may or may not remain connected. We are
    using Windows XP, service pack 2. Most of the time, when it is not
    connecting, the wireless network icon in the taskbar remains indicated as
    disconnected (with a red cross). Despite this indication, it is able to give
    an updated list of available networks.
    None of this happens if I take the computer elsewhere, where our network is

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 7, 2007

  3. Thanks,
    I have looked at the information, which is useful for another problem we had.
    Meanwhile, I have found that the problem is related to the distance between
    the router and the computer. When I try connect from another room it works
    better!!! So it is too close?!

    =?Utf-8?B?THVjZQ==?=, Aug 10, 2007