Connection to two simultaneous wireless networks, ICS

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Main User, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Main User

    Main User Guest

    Hello... first post. Apologies if this has been spelled out before,
    although I haven't yet found the answer by searching forums. Sorry for
    the length but I wanted to make sure its all clear.

    I'll start with the current setup:

    I have a desktop PC running Windows 2000 Professional, with two PCI
    network cards installed: A wired ethernet adaptor, and an 802.11b
    wireless network adaptor card. The stock antenna of the wireless card
    has been replaced with an external 15dbi antenna which is positioned to
    pick up the wireless signal from my neighbor's house (we share the
    connection as well as its fee). In Network and Internet Connections,
    this particular connection is called "Internet Connection". I'll call
    the neighbor's wifi network "NeighborHouse".

    The situation, part 1:

    Because the source of the signal is far out of range for my laptops
    with built-in wifi at home, I needed a way to repeat that signal in
    order for the laptops to connect to the internet. I did this by
    creating a new second network, feeding off the first, by following
    these steps: On the PC above, I turned on Internet Connection Sharing
    for "Internet Connection" in Network and Internet Connections. I
    proceeded to enter a static IP address of 192.168.0.1 for the ethernet
    adaptor ("Local Area Connection"). Next, using the browser
    configuration utility of a D-Link DI-524 wireless router, I changed the
    router's default IP address to 192.168.1.1, because its default address
    of 192.168.0.1 would conflict with the static IP of the ICS network
    connections mentioned above. After following these steps, I
    successfully completed the creation of a new, separate wireless network
    in my own home, using my neighbor's originating signal. I'll call this
    new wireless network "Home".

    Part 2:

    I have an Airport Express Base Station in a different room on the other
    side of my house, and it's connected to a stereo and a USB printer. If
    the Airport Express was configured to create its own network, I would
    have to disconnect my laptops from the Home network and reconnect them
    to the Airport network in order to stream AirTunes via iTunes, or print
    wirelessly through the Airport Express. The solution was to instead
    configure the Airport Express (via its configuration utility) to be a
    client of the Home network. As a result, my laptops can be connected to
    the internet via the Home network, meanwhile having uninterrupted
    access to the Airport Express print and audio functions.

    Part 3:

    The desktop PC running Internet Connection Sharing is also the home of
    the external hard drives containing my music collection. While some of
    those MP3s are on my laptops, and while I can always connect my laptops
    temporarily to those external hard drives to access and copy those
    files, the vast majority of the music library remains stationary on
    those hard drives, connected to that desktop PC.

    The problem:

    My desktop PC is perpetually connected to the "NeighborHouse" network.
    In order for my desktop PC to access the Airport Express functions
    (particularly to stream AirTunes from my music library to the Airport
    Express to the connected stereo on the other side of my house), I have
    to disconnect the desktop PC from NeighborHouse and reconnect the PC's
    Internet Connection to the Home network. Once this is accomplished, my
    desktop PC has access to the Airport Express functions, and that works
    just fine. However, as soon as I make that switch from NeighborHouse to
    Home, the Internet Connection Sharing setting on the PC is rendered
    useless, as the originating source signal is no longer connected to my
    PC. As a result, I rarely make the switch on my desktop PC from
    NeighborHouse to Home, because it then severs my internet connection.

    I'm now trying to figure out how to remedy this situation. If I were to
    install a second wireless network adaptor in the desktop PC, is there a
    way that I could maintain the entire setup I described above, while
    simultaneously connecting the second wireless network adaptor to the
    Home network? In this scenario, the desktop PC would remain connected
    to the neighbor's internet source signal, continue to send that signal
    via ICS through the D-Link router's WAN port, and continue to provide
    the laptops access to the internet via the Home network as a result.
    Meanwhile, the desktop PC, via its second network adaptor and a newly
    created Local Area Connection, would be simultaneously connected as a
    client to the Home network, and thus have access to the Airport Express
    functions.

    If anyone has any opinions on whether this would work, what I would
    need to do to make it work, or specific issues that I would need to
    consider and changes to the setup I would need to make, etc, I would
    love to hear them. Thanks!

    - Michael

    Main User, Nov 17, 2005