    and all seems to be working satisfactorily.
    The main problem seemed to be with the 'smtp.mail. setting.
    Thanks particularly to Bassbag for his patience and comments.

    Bryan Jones, May 1, 2007

  2. Bryan Jones

    Bryan Jones Guest

    In message <>, Bryan Jones
    <> writes
    >Thanks for the advice and help on setting up TB.
    >I have now succeeded in configuring both incoming and outgoing server
    >and all seems to be working satisfactorily.
    >The main problem seemed to be with the 'smtp.mail. setting.
    >Thanks particularly to Bassbag for his patience and comments.

    Forgot to mention the most important benefit of getting the settings
    right.
    My main, and first, problem which was getting the 'connection timed out'
    window every time I tried to do something, has completely disappeared.
    Nice when things go right after trying for so long.
    --
    Best Wishes
    Bryan T U R N P I K E

    Bryan Jones, May 1, 2007

  3. Bryan Jones

    jones Guest

    Please Bryan, what did you change that made the difference. I am still
    getting that window. Although mine is for websites not emails, as I work on
    Yahoo mail only.

    I am glad one of us had some succes with that annoying window.
    Thanks
    Katherine

    jones, May 2, 2007
  4. Bryan Jones

    bassbag Guest

    In article <4637e408$0$17250$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, says...
    > Please Bryan, what did you change that made the difference. I am still
    > getting that window. Although mine is for websites not emails, as I work on
    > Yahoo mail only.
    >
    > I am glad one of us had some succes with that annoying window.
    > Thanks
    > Katherine

    Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
    website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
    blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
    OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
    have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
    me

    bassbag, May 2, 2007
  5. Bryan Jones

    Bryan Jones Guest

    Katherine,

    I'm not really able to help you much as I do not get the 'connection
    timed out' messages when visiting web sites, and, so far as I can
    remember,never did.
    Eventually, all I did to get all the options working in TB was to ensure
    that I specified, in the outgoing server settings,
    'smtp.mail.btinternet' which is my isp.
    I'm sorry that I cannot be of more help, but I know that Bassbag's
    advice and patience is most useful and relevant.

    Bryan Jones, May 2, 2007
  6. Bryan Jones

    jones Guest

    Yes I too am glad we have patient people in the world :)

    Sorry don't know what MTU is/are or what ICMP means.

    My ISP is iinet (in Australia) and as far as I was aware a router is for
    more than one computer? Is that right.

    Thanks again for any help

    jones, May 3, 2007
  7. jones wrote:
    > Yes I too am glad we have patient people in the world :)
    >
    > Sorry don't know what MTU is/are or what ICMP means.
    >
    > My ISP is iinet (in Australia) and as far as I was aware a router is for
    > more than one computer? Is that right.
    >
    > Thanks again for any help
    > Katherine
    >

    >> Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
    >> website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
    >> blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
    >> OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
    >> have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
    >> me

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Control_Message_Protocol

    While the primary function of a router is to network computers, it also
    functions as a hardware firewall. I generally recommend that anyone
    with an always on internet connection put their machine behind a router,
    even there is only one machine.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, May 3, 2007
  8. Bryan Jones

    bassbag Guest

    In article <46396bbd$0$17222$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    01.iinet.net.au>, says...
    > Yes I too am glad we have patient people in the world :)
    >
    > Sorry don't know what MTU is/are or what ICMP means.
    >
    > My ISP is iinet (in Australia) and as far as I was aware a router is for
    > more than one computer? Is that right.
    >
    > Thanks again for any help
    > Katherine
    >

    > > Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
    > > website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
    > > blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
    > > OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
    > > have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
    > > me

    Are you on dial up or broadband? and what operating system are you
    using?.Is it the same sites that give you time out errors or does it vary
    at different times of day?.Are you using a firewall and if so which one?
    You need to give a little more information to help.If you are on
    broadband you would usually connect through a router.To check if you have
    ICMP ping blocked or not perform a stealth test here...
    http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

    click common ports...and check if ping reply has failed or passed.If its
    passed and you are showing full stealth then ,you are blocking ICMP
    ping,which is needed for MTU auto discovery to work.If its working it
    will show a fail and say that your computer replied to ping.
    me

    bassbag, May 3, 2007
  9. Bryan Jones

    jones Guest

    Thanks again. Good points for me to chew on and links to check through. Will
    get back in a few weeks if not before, need to be away from the computer
    till then.

    BTW I am still on dial-up for the time being - maybe that is slowing the
    opening of the websites too?

    jones, May 5, 2007