    but no solution yet. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?

    Thanks
    Stan

    Stan, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Stan wrote:
    > I have had this problem since I installed my new Sony computer with
    > Windows XP. I'm using Mozilla suite. I have the Norton firewall shut
    > off, the Windows firewall shut off, and the Linksys router shut off. My
    > ISP is Road Runner.
    >
    > When I try to access the secnews.netscape.com and news.mozilla.org news
    > servers, I receive the message
    >
    > "Connection to server secnews.netscape.com timed out (and similar when
    > trying to access the other server.
    >
    > I doubt that the connection is ever made as I have never received
    > anything from these servers. I've contacted all kinds of support groups
    > but no solution yet. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stan

    secnews is a secure server. To set it up correctly, go to:

    Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>secnews.netscape.com>>Server
    Settings

    Check the box for Use secure Connection (SSL). When you check this,
    the port should switch to the SSL default of 563. Ensure these settings
    are correct and try again.

    See you there!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 17, 2005

  3. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Stan wrote:
    >
    >> I have had this problem since I installed my new Sony computer with
    >> Windows XP. I'm using Mozilla suite. I have the Norton firewall shut
    >> off, the Windows firewall shut off, and the Linksys router shut off.
    >> My ISP is Road Runner.
    >>
    >> When I try to access the secnews.netscape.com and news.mozilla.org
    >> news servers, I receive the message
    >>
    >> "Connection to server secnews.netscape.com timed out (and similar when
    >> trying to access the other server.
    >>
    >> I doubt that the connection is ever made as I have never received
    >> anything from these servers. I've contacted all kinds of support
    >> groups but no solution yet. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Stan

    > secnews is a secure server. To set it up correctly, go to:
    >
    > Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>secnews.netscape.com>>Server
    > Settings
    >
    > Check the box for Use secure Connection (SSL). When you check this,
    > the port should switch to the SSL default of 563. Ensure these settings
    > are correct and try again.
    >
    > See you there!
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks. I've been using 563 all along. That's not the problem.

    Stan, Feb 17, 2005
  4. Stan

    Moz Champion Guest

    Stan wrote:

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Stan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have had this problem since I installed my new Sony computer with
    >>> Windows XP. I'm using Mozilla suite. I have the Norton firewall shut
    >>> off, the Windows firewall shut off, and the Linksys router shut off.
    >>> My ISP is Road Runner.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to access the secnews.netscape.com and news.mozilla.org
    >>> news servers, I receive the message
    >>>
    >>> "Connection to server secnews.netscape.com timed out (and similar
    >>> when trying to access the other server.
    >>>
    >>> I doubt that the connection is ever made as I have never received
    >>> anything from these servers. I've contacted all kinds of support
    >>> groups but no solution yet. Has anyone had this problem and solved it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Stan

    >> secnews is a secure server. To set it up correctly, go to:
    >>
    >> Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>secnews.netscape.com>>Server
    >> Settings
    >>
    >> Check the box for Use secure Connection (SSL). When you check this,
    >> the port should switch to the SSL default of 563. Ensure these
    >> settings are correct and try again.
    >>
    >> See you there!
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks. I've been using 563 all along. That's not the problem.

    Always request authentication... should be UNchecked in Server Settings

    However, since your are getting this on the news.mozilla.org server as
    well (which isnt SSL), something else may be amiss.

    Are you using a proxy for connections? If using a firewall, temporarily
    disable it to see if that is preventing your connection.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Feb 17, 2005
  5. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Stan wrote:

    >>> secnews is a secure server. To set it up correctly, go to:
    >>>
    >>> Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>secnews.netscape.com>>Server
    >>> Settings
    >>>
    >>> Check the box for Use secure Connection (SSL). When you check this,
    >>> the port should switch to the SSL default of 563. Ensure these
    >>> settings are correct and try again.
    >>>
    >>> See you there!
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks. I've been using 563 all along. That's not the problem.

    > Always request authentication... should be UNchecked in Server Settings
    >
    > However, since your are getting this on the news.mozilla.org server as
    > well (which isnt SSL), something else may be amiss.
    >
    > Are you using a proxy for connections? If using a firewall, temporarily
    > disable it to see if that is preventing your connection.

    I disabled the firewall in the router and it made no difference. I have
    the Windows Firewall disabled all the time and also disabled the Norton
    firewall.

    I did connect my old computer to the modem directly today and it worked
    fine with W98SE, no firewalls, and Mozilla. Must be the router and I am
    E-mailing with Linksys for help but no luck yet.

    Stan, Feb 18, 2005
  6. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Stan wrote:

    >>> secnews is a secure server. To set it up correctly, go to:
    >>>
    >>> Edit>>Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings>>secnews.netscape.com>>Server
    >>> Settings
    >>>
    >>> Check the box for Use secure Connection (SSL). When you check this,
    >>> the port should switch to the SSL default of 563. Ensure these
    >>> settings are correct and try again.
    >>>
    >>> See you there!
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks. I've been using 563 all along. That's not the problem.

    > Always request authentication... should be UNchecked in Server Settings
    >
    > However, since your are getting this on the news.mozilla.org server as
    > well (which isnt SSL), something else may be amiss.
    >
    > Are you using a proxy for connections? If using a firewall, temporarily
    > disable it to see if that is preventing your connection.

    Forgot to ask.... Linksys asked me to find out if there are any other
    ports that secnews.netscape.com uses other than 563, possibly 119?

    Stan, Feb 18, 2005
  7. Stan wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Stan wrote:

    >>> Thanks. I've been using 563 all along. That's not the problem.

    >> Always request authentication... should be UNchecked in Server Settings
    >>
    >> However, since your are getting this on the news.mozilla.org server as
    >> well (which isnt SSL), something else may be amiss.
    >>
    >> Are you using a proxy for connections? If using a firewall,
    >> temporarily disable it to see if that is preventing your connection.
    >>

    > Forgot to ask.... Linksys asked me to find out if there are any other
    > ports that secnews.netscape.com uses other than 563, possibly 119?

    Its a secure server, 563 is the default port. If you set it to 119, you
    will see only groups on the netscape.public hierarchy, but not the
    netscape.mozilla.user hierarchy were the secnews groups reside.

    news.mozilla.org and secnews.netscape.com are actually the same server.
    Without using the secure port, you can't access the secure groups.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 18, 2005
  8. Stan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stan wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Stan wrote:

    >>> Thanks. I've been using 563 all along. That's not the problem.

    >> Always request authentication... should be UNchecked in Server Settings
    >>
    >> However, since your are getting this on the news.mozilla.org server as
    >> well (which isnt SSL), something else may be amiss.
    >>
    >> Are you using a proxy for connections? If using a firewall,
    >> temporarily disable it to see if that is preventing your connection.
    >>

    > I disabled the firewall in the router and it made no difference. I have
    > the Windows Firewall disabled all the time and also disabled the Norton
    > firewall.
    >
    > I did connect my old computer to the modem directly today and it worked
    > fine with W98SE, no firewalls, and Mozilla. Must be the router and I am
    > E-mailing with Linksys for help but no luck yet.

    Did you try your old computer connected to the router with firewall
    re-enabled? Just in case something changed in the router since you
    switched PCs?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Feb 18, 2005
  9. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stan wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> Always request authentication... should be UNchecked in Server Settings
    >>>
    >>> However, since your are getting this on the news.mozilla.org server
    >>> as well (which isnt SSL), something else may be amiss.
    >>>
    >>> Are you using a proxy for connections? If using a firewall,
    >>> temporarily disable it to see if that is preventing your connection.
    >>>

    >> I disabled the firewall in the router and it made no difference. I
    >> have the Windows Firewall disabled all the time and also disabled the
    >> Norton firewall.
    >>
    >> I did connect my old computer to the modem directly today and it
    >> worked fine with W98SE, no firewalls, and Mozilla. Must be the router
    >> and I am E-mailing with Linksys for help but no luck yet.

    > Did you try your old computer connected to the router with firewall
    > re-enabled? Just in case something changed in the router since you
    > switched PCs?

    Yep. Just won't work when it connects through the router. The router
    people said that even with router firewall disabled that it doesn't
    really unblock everything. I've tried everything they suggested except
    downloading (hopefully) newer code which i will do this weekend.

    Stan, Feb 19, 2005