    in? I already know there are peak demand periods which drop the
    average user's speed, but are there things I don't know?

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Nov 14, 2010

  2. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > There are several sites like http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
    > on the web that purportedly give you a snapshot(at the time you
    > initiate test) of your PC's network download/upload speeds. Some
    > allow you to compare your latest speeds with others on a statewide or
    > national level.
    >
    > Question: Are these sites legit? Are there factors that can cause
    > the test results for a cable modem to seem slower than a fast dial-
    > in? I already know there are peak demand periods which drop the
    > average user's speed, but are there things I don't know?
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    If there are peak demand periods that drop the speed, wouldn't you want the
    speed test to find them?

    What possible reason would a speed test have in lying to you?

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 14, 2010

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Nov 14, 1:59 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > There are several sites like  http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
    > > on the web that purportedly give you a snapshot(at the time you
    > > initiate test) of your PC's network download/upload speeds.  Some
    > > allow you to compare your latest speeds with others on a statewide or
    > > national level.

    > > Question:  Are these sites legit?  Are there factors that can cause
    > > the test results for a cable modem to seem slower than a fast dial-
    > > in?  I already know there are peak demand periods which drop the
    > > average user's speed, but are there things I don't know?

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > If there are peak demand periods that drop the speed, wouldn't you want the
    > speed test to find them?
    >
    > What possible reason would a speed test have in lying to you?

    ___________________
    None, I s'pose. It's just that different ones lend different results,
    and, testing consistently at 5:30AM and at 9PM(peak for home usage) I
    get widely varying results. 5:30AM on Monday I might get 2.5mbps
    download, and 5:30AM on Weds I might get 9.0! Evenings are just as
    variable.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Nov 14, 2010
  4. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    On Nov 14, 1:59 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > There are several sites like
    > > http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
    > > on the web that purportedly give you a snapshot(at the time you
    > > initiate test) of your PC's network download/upload speeds. Some
    > > allow you to compare your latest speeds with others on a statewide or
    > > national level.

    > > Question: Are these sites legit? Are there factors that can cause
    > > the test results for a cable modem to seem slower than a fast dial-
    > > in? I already know there are peak demand periods which drop the
    > > average user's speed, but are there things I don't know?

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > If there are peak demand periods that drop the speed, wouldn't you want
    > the
    > speed test to find them?
    >
    > What possible reason would a speed test have in lying to you?

    ___________________
    None, I s'pose. It's just that different ones lend different results,
    and, testing consistently at 5:30AM and at 9PM(peak for home usage) I
    get widely varying results. 5:30AM on Monday I might get 2.5mbps
    download, and 5:30AM on Weds I might get 9.0! Evenings are just as
    variable.

    -CC

    <JS>
    I'd guess that there are traffic conditions that cause the varying results.
    I suspect that if you used different speed tests and got similar results,
    then the tests would be validated, ESPECIALLY if the test you are using is
    selling a different browser. speedtest.net has a banner ad to sell Google
    Chrome, so it might be interested in reporting that your Internet Explorer
    or FireFox runns slowly so that you will use Chrome instead. I doubt this is
    the case, but that's the only scenario I can see for fudging the results.

    I use Verizon FiOS, and did a speed test because you asked. I have a
    download speed of just over 25mbps and pushing 5mbps for uploads. The server
    ping response is 24ms on a server that's 50 miles from my house. Pretty
    respectable results, I think.

    </JS>

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 14, 2010
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Nov 14, 4:39 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:

    > I use Verizon FiOS, and did a speed test because you asked. I have a
    > download speed of just over 25mbps and pushing 5mbps for uploads. The server
    > ping response is 24ms on a server that's 50 miles from my house. Pretty
    > respectable results, I think.
    >
    > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    ___________________
    Strickster! I am salivating! 25mbps??? The fastest I ever got was
    11mbps download/5mbps upload. Problem is, my building is over 40
    years old and the internal cable coax is RG-59! To run RG6 all the
    way down to the basement is moot - I rent. Generally, my test results
    are between 1 - 9mbps down/2-4mbps up with Cablevision-Optimum Cable
    internet.

    Still, both our results beat 56Kbps dial-up.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Nov 14, 2010
  6. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Nov 14, 5:08 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > On Nov 14, 4:39 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I use Verizon FiOS, and did a speed test because you asked. I have a
    > > download speed of just over 25mbps and pushing 5mbps for uploads. The server
    > > ping response is 24ms on a server that's 50 miles from my house. Pretty
    > > respectable results, I think.

    > > </JS>- Hide quoted text -

    > ___________________
    > Strickster! I am salivating!  25mbps??? The fastest I ever got was
    > 11mbps download/5mbps upload.  Problem is, my building is over 40
    > years old and the internal cable coax is RG-59!  To run RG6 all the
    > way down to the basement is moot - I rent.  Generally, my test results
    > are between 1 - 9mbps down/2-4mbps up with Cablevision-Optimum Cable
    > internet.
    >
    > Still, both our results beat 56Kbps dial-up.
    >
    > -CC

    Forgot to mention: My pings are between 11 and 31ms

    ChrisCoaster, Nov 14, 2010

    ___________________
    Strickster! I am salivating! 25mbps??? The fastest I ever got was
    11mbps download/5mbps upload. Problem is, my building is over 40
    years old and the internal cable coax is RG-59! To run RG6 all the
    way down to the basement is moot - I rent. Generally, my test results
    are between 1 - 9mbps down/2-4mbps up with Cablevision-Optimum Cable
    internet.

    Still, both our results beat 56Kbps dial-up.

    -CC

    <JS>
    I've got Fiber Optic service, so I get CAT5 cable from the converter box to
    my computer. I run a wireless network for my household, but I've not tested
    the speed of those machines.

    My brother uses a Sprint WiFi thingie that uses 3G cell technology, but the
    3G service is so bad that his speeds are worse than yours, but still better
    than dial-up.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 15, 2010
  8. ChrisCoaster

    Kele Guest

    I can go to some speed test sites and get numbers that look like I have a
    fast connection, but in real world surfing (downloading) there's no way I'm
    actually feeling those speeds. Speed sites are fun and even useful for
    same-machine comparison over time; find the speed zones that reflects what
    you think is reality and consistent (even if the numbers suck).

    I have one relic PC (XP / 386 MB RAM) and a new laptop in the house. Both
    are connected to the same router; the lap top wirelessly so it shouldn't
    have the best speed possible. However, the laptop shows much higher
    Internet connection speeds via speed tests compared to the hardwired to
    router relic PC. The relic just can't process the test (download) as fast,
    so that is the apparent weakest link. I thought I knew what my cable
    Internet service was capable of until the new laptop which speed-site tests
    40% higher than the relic. In other words, Internet speed test numbers may
    not reflect the connection speed as much as the processing speed of the
    computer. Ideally, a speed-zone test should be on a computer that doesn't
    itself get in the way of test results. Omitting the graphics section, my
    laptop's Windows7 "Experience" next lowest score is 4.3 out of 7.0. Not bad
    but what would Internet speed tests show for an even faster machine?

    BTW, the anti-virus program impacts the score as it checks the speed-test
    data. With my anti-virus program, [disabling] it doesn't stop it from
    running in Task Manager and sucking up system resources (and probes?).
    Exiting the program does stop it and I would think not having a virus
    software running during the speed test would give more meaningful results.

    - Kele

    Kele, Nov 17, 2010
  9. ChrisCoaster

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Kele" <> wrote in message

    > I have one relic PC (XP / 386 MB RAM) and a new laptop in the house. Both
    > are connected to the same router; the lap top wirelessly so it shouldn't
    > have the best speed possible. However, the laptop shows much higher
    > Internet connection speeds via speed tests compared to the hardwired to
    > router relic PC.

    ======
    The relic probably has a 10mb MAX nic

    Wireless : slowest ( b) is 11 mbps
    G is 54mb/sec
    N is 250mbps
    Any wireless IS faster than the relic

    - Bobb -, Nov 27, 2010
  10. ChrisCoaster

    Kele Guest

    Hey, stop making fun of my Relic!

    Here's my Quickstart speed results at NUMION
    http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/index.html
    I think is one of the more accurate speed tests.

    Download speed: 4,493.77 (561.72) 100%
    Upload speed: 835.67 (104.45) 84%
    Surfspeed inside United States: 348.43 (43.55) 98%
    Surfspeed average (worldwide): 198.04 (24.75) 73%
    Surfspeed outside United States: 128.46 (16.05) 100%
    Latency: 478 milliseconds

    Stock Time Warner RoadRunner
    Smokin' ; )

    Kele, Nov 28, 2010