    -------

    Martin
    To reply remove "ilikestars" from my email address

    Starstuffed, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Starstuffed

    Miggsee Guest

    Your dial-up connection speed to the Internet is mediocre. But, you're
    connected, things work, so life is good! ;)~

    "Starstuffed" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old (but very nicely maintained) Compaq 1540DM. If I click on

    the
    > "connection icon" on the toolbar, a small window appears which informs me
    > that I am connected at 31,200 bps. What does this mean and what else can

    be

    Miggsee, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Starstuffed

    Harrison Guest

    It means that you are connected at 31,200 bps.
    It can therefore be deduced that you need one or more of the
    following.

    A. a better/newer modem
    B. a better ISP
    C. better quality wiring in your phone lines
    D. all of the above
    E. broadband

    Harrison, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Starstuffed wrote:

    > I have an old (but very nicely maintained) Compaq 1540DM. If I click on the
    > "connection icon" on the toolbar, a small window appears which informs me
    > that I am connected at 31,200 bps. What does this mean and what else can be
    > deduced from this information?

    1) Your computer has created a modem-to-modem connection
    2) this connection has negotiated at 31.2kbps meaning
    3) you have, minimally, a 33.6 modem
    4) your phone quality does not seem to be too good, otherwise you'd get
    a better connect speed.

    --Is there something else you're looking for?

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Starstuffed

    Starstuffed Guest

    "BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ" <> wrote in message
    > Starstuffed wrote:
    >
    > > I have an old (but very nicely maintained) Compaq 1540DM. If I click on

    the
    > > "connection icon" on the toolbar, a small window appears which informs

    me
    > > that I am connected at 31,200 bps. What does this mean and what else

    can be
    > > deduced from this information?

    > 3) you have, minimally, a 33.6 modem

    This is what I was looking for. Some websites list this Compaq Armada
    1540DM with a 33.6 modem while others give it a a slower one. I didn't know
    which I had and wanted to find out.

    Thank you very much.

    --
    -------