connection problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jeremy, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    Over the last couple of weeks I have had major connection problems with
    dial up.

    System: Win2K Pro, ZA, Ad-aware, Spybot, A squared, Fix-it, NAV,
    Mozilla, NS 4.7 and have uninstalled and changed out modems twice after
    the line tested good with another computer.
    Also uninstalled and replaced TCP/IP and Client, modem drivers, and
    dial-up connection multiple times. Have completed all possible scans and
    housekeeping multiple times, tried without firewalls, checked with
    ipconfig and ping commands but seem unable to connect at better than
    26.6.
    I have uninstalled Propel Accelerator and returned proxies to auto,
    changed dial-up numbers, started ZA from zero tolerance, checked with my
    ISP techs for hours, and had my local tech try for hours to find and
    fix.

    Symptoms include:

    Multiple screams
    Connections under 28 kbps
    Connection made but no data transfer
    A different error message every time the connection fails

    I managed to get online tonight, but dare not shut the connection down
    just in case it will not work again.

    Any suggestions would be most welcome

    TIA

    JJ

    jeremy, Jun 8, 2004

  2. jeremy

    colin Guest

    jeremy <> wrote in message
    > Over the last couple of weeks I have had major connection problems with
    > dial up.
    >
    > System: Win2K Pro, ZA, Ad-aware, Spybot, A squared, Fix-it, NAV,
    > Mozilla, NS 4.7 and have uninstalled and changed out modems twice after
    > the line tested good with another computer.
    > Also uninstalled and replaced TCP/IP and Client, modem drivers, and
    > dial-up connection multiple times. Have completed all possible scans and
    > housekeeping multiple times, tried without firewalls, checked with
    > ipconfig and ping commands but seem unable to connect at better than
    > 26.6.
    > I have uninstalled Propel Accelerator and returned proxies to auto,
    > changed dial-up numbers, started ZA from zero tolerance, checked with my
    > ISP techs for hours, and had my local tech try for hours to find and
    > fix.
    >

    > Symptoms include:
    >
    > Multiple screams
    > Connections under 28 kbps
    > Connection made but no data transfer
    > A different error message every time the connection fails
    >
    > I managed to get online tonight, but dare not shut the connection down
    > just in case it will not work again.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be most welcome
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > JJ

    What type of modem is it? internal/external, make model, etc.

    I`ve had a similar problem with an internal pci 56k modem, that was
    corrected with a modem initialisation string.

    http://www.netfaqs.com/Windows/DUN/Win2k/Modem/Settings/index.asp

    colin, Jun 8, 2004

  3. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    Sorry for failing to indicate the type.

    All three modems were PCI, and tried them in different slots, the first
    a PCTel the second an HSPS the third is now
    an Intel(r) 537EP set on IRQ 11 and Com 3

    Up until two weeks ago I had consistently connected at 46.6 kbps for six
    months, although my tech's laptop got 54.4 on the same line, both before
    and after my problems

    jeremy, Jun 8, 2004
  4. jeremy

    colin Guest

    jeremy <> wrote in message
    > Sorry for failing to indicate the type.
    >
    > All three modems were PCI, and tried them in different slots, the first
    > a PCTel the second an HSPS the third is now
    > an Intel(r) 537EP set on IRQ 11 and Com 3
    >
    > Up until two weeks ago I had consistently connected at 46.6 kbps for six
    > months, although my tech's laptop got 54.4 on the same line, both before
    > and after my problems

    These are the latest drivers I could find, in case you haven`t got them.
    ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6795/eng/intel-537ep-246620-winxp2k.e
    xe

    ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6798/eng/intel-537ep-216686-1win2k.ex

    Also done a search for any init strings that could be used, but didn`t
    really find anything specific to your modem. (maybe your isp could suggest
    something)

    colin, Jun 8, 2004
  5. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    colin wrote:

    > These are the latest drivers I could find, in case you haven`t got them.
    > ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6795/eng/intel-537ep-246620-winxp2k.e
    > xe
    >
    > ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/6798/eng/intel-537ep-216686-1win2k.ex
    >
    > Also done a search for any init strings that could be used, but didn`t
    > really find anything specific to your modem. (maybe your isp could suggest
    > something)

    I have the latest drivers and the problem has now persisted through
    three modems. I can now connect with some confidence, but at 26 kbps or
    less and always after two or three screams.

    I am now engaged in the research and application of winni\system\command
    diagnostics, but I have a sneaky feeling that the problem is somewhere
    in the 2K pro startup or network connections. As yet, none of the tools
    I have available are able to do much more than confirm that the modem is
    working, the parameters are correctly set and that there are no problems
    detected.
    I have updated and run all my virus and malware detection tonight, as
    administrator, removed and reinstalled the hardware and drivers, run a
    Win2K custom install for the dialup and networking, and triple checked
    the modem/tcp/ip/ZA settings.

    The only anomaly that I have found is the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255
    instead of 255.255.255.0 and I do not know how to change that or if it
    will make a difference.

    JJ

    jeremy, Jun 8, 2004
  6. jeremy

    Wiz Guest

    Call the phone company and tell them there is static on your line.

    Wiz, Jun 8, 2004
  7. jeremy

    Wiz Guest

    You are headed down the wrong road. Your problems are wiring.

    Wiz, Jun 8, 2004
  8. jeremy

    Thor Guest

    "jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > Over the last couple of weeks I have had major connection problems with
    > dial up.
    >
    > System: Win2K Pro, ZA, Ad-aware, Spybot, A squared, Fix-it, NAV,
    > Mozilla, NS 4.7 and have uninstalled and changed out modems twice after
    > the line tested good with another computer.
    > Also uninstalled and replaced TCP/IP and Client, modem drivers, and
    > dial-up connection multiple times. Have completed all possible scans and
    > housekeeping multiple times, tried without firewalls, checked with
    > ipconfig and ping commands but seem unable to connect at better than
    > 26.6.
    > I have uninstalled Propel Accelerator and returned proxies to auto,
    > changed dial-up numbers, started ZA from zero tolerance, checked with my
    > ISP techs for hours, and had my local tech try for hours to find and
    > fix.
    >

    > Symptoms include:
    >
    > Multiple screams
    > Connections under 28 kbps
    > Connection made but no data transfer
    > A different error message every time the connection fails
    >
    > I managed to get online tonight, but dare not shut the connection down
    > just in case it will not work again.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be most welcome

    These symptoms combined with what you have tried to remedy the problem,
    indicate an internal wiring or external (outside the home) line problem.
    Given the fact that you have tried multiple modems, the problem is highly
    unlikely to be inside your machine. I realize you said that you tried the
    same line with another computer, but did you have it plugged into the very
    same wall jack? Same phone cord? It could also have been a fluke that this
    other computer connected well. You could also try the modem from this other
    computer that worked well on that line. Put it in your computer to see if
    the connection is just as good. I've a considerable amount of experience
    with modem connection problems since I service an area of customers in rural
    areas which frequently have line issues. What you describe certainly sounds
    like a line issue, either inside the home wiring or outside with the telco
    lines. The "multiple screams" is the modem repeatedly handshaking and
    attempting to connect at lower speeds because there is too much noise to
    establish an acceptable connection.

    Thor, Jun 8, 2004
  9. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    Wiz wrote:

    > You are headed down the wrong road. Your problems are wiring.

    The phone line connects at >54 kbps on a laptop and I have changed slots
    for the modem, why would wiring be a problem?

    JJ

    jeremy, Jun 8, 2004
  10. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > These symptoms combined with what you have tried to remedy the problem,

    > indicate an internal wiring or external (outside the home) line problem.
    > Given the fact that you have tried multiple modems, the problem is highly
    > unlikely to be inside your machine. I realize you said that you tried the
    > same line with another computer, but did you have it plugged into the very
    > same wall jack? Same phone cord? It could also have been a fluke that this
    > other computer connected well. You could also try the modem from this other
    > computer that worked well on that line. Put it in your computer to see if
    > the connection is just as good. I've a considerable amount of experience
    > with modem connection problems since I service an area of customers in rural
    > areas which frequently have line issues. What you describe certainly sounds
    > like a line issue, either inside the home wiring or outside with the telco
    > lines. The "multiple screams" is the modem repeatedly handshaking and
    > attempting to connect at lower speeds because there is too much noise to
    > establish an acceptable connection.

    The laptop not only was using my phone line but connected through my
    modem jack.

    The line is definitely not the problem, evidenced by the fact that I can
    consistently log on at under 26k with the new modem and over 46k with
    any other computer.

    JJ

    jeremy, Jun 8, 2004
  11. jeremy

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    jeremy <> wrote in news::

    > The phone line connects at >54 kbps on a laptop and I have changed slots
    > for the modem, why would wiring be a problem?

    First of all, your tech did not connect at 54.4, the max he could have
    gotten is 53k. Second, that is unrealistic to get, as where I work (an
    ISP) we can't get a 53k connection dialing in to ourselves from the
    building (we get 50.666k). Your tech's laptop is showing the wrong number.

    Second, like I tell my customers, if you are connecting as sub 33.6 speeds,
    you have a line noise problem or your house is wired incorrectly. Since it
    was recently better, you probably have a line noise issue that needs to be
    brought to your local phone companies attention. Don't mention the
    computer while talking to them.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 8, 2004
  12. jeremy

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    jeremy <> wrote in news:40C5C13A.21A14611
    @dcnet2000.com:

    > The line is definitely not the problem, evidenced by the fact that I can
    > consistently log on at under 26k with the new modem and over 46k with
    > any other computer.

    No, the line is most definitely your problem. If you don't want to admit
    that, call your ISP and ask them to check it out for you, they will tell
    you the same thing Thor and I just did.

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 8, 2004
  13. jeremy

    nunu Guest

    My I suggest migrating to DSL,, it makes more sense than fooling around with
    dial up.

    nunu, Jun 9, 2004
  14. jeremy

    jeremy Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > No, the line is most definitely your problem. If you don't want to admit
    > that, call your ISP and ask them to check it out for you, they will tell
    > you the same thing Thor and I just did.
    >
    > --
    > website: http://www.demonlag.com
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email:

    I am having the line configured for DSL, had the phone company guy come
    in and check the line from next to the computer and I am still only
    getting 24 kbps on the dial up. My tech's laptop still connects to the
    same account at over 50kbps.

    Two more days and the dsl goes on.

    Thanks for trying guys

    JJ

    jeremy, Jun 10, 2004
  15. jeremy

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    jeremy <> wrote in news:40C7C8EF.E2000997
    @dcnet2000.com:

    > I am having the line configured for DSL, had the phone company guy come
    > in and check the line from next to the computer and I am still only

    I had a user the other day connecting at 19k down 24k up, phone company
    told her "No problems with your line at all". Guess where the problem was?
    If you said the line, you would be right.

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 10, 2004