Connection problems when connection is good :)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Andreas Høivold, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I have just got a couple of 1600 routers. I put both of them in a 1900
    switch and I also have a host in the same switch. I configure the routers
    ethernet interfaces with 192.168.1.1/24 and .2/24 and the host with .10/24
    (and gateway set to 192.168.1.1). I have also included rip version 2 (of
    course with the network statement in the configuration). There is no
    "extra" configuration.

    I can ping and telnet from router to router. I can also ping and telnet
    from the host to both routers. But, here comes the problem, I can't ping or
    telnet from any of the routers to the host. Why? They are all in the same
    subnet and I can ping/telnet one way. I have tried to change ports on the
    switch (which is clean), but the result is the same. I have also tried to
    change the gateway to .2 (which should not matter and did not matter).

    This really should be very simple, but am I forgetting something. And why
    is the connection ok one way, but not the other. I feel like an idiot when
    I can't even make this work... :( Help me... ;)

    --
    Andreas Høivold

    E-mail: (for news)
    Andreas Høivold, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Andreas Høivold

    PES Guest

    Are you sure you don't have a firewall on the host? For example XP's built
    in firewall will silently cause exactly this.

    PES, Jul 11, 2004

  3. "PES" <NO*SPAMpestewartREMOVE**SUCKS> skrev i melding
    > Are you sure you don't have a firewall on the host? For example XP's

    built
    > in firewall will silently cause exactly this.

    The XP firewall is turned off... And my other firewall always asked if the
    local net was safe (I choose yes of course).

    --
    Andreas Høivold

    E-mail: (for news)
    Andreas Høivold, Jul 11, 2004
  4. On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:15:30 +0200, "Andreas Høivold"
    <> wrote:

    >"PES" <NO*SPAMpestewartREMOVE**SUCKS> skrev i melding
    >> Are you sure you don't have a firewall on the host? For example XP's

    >built
    >> in firewall will silently cause exactly this.

    >The XP firewall is turned off... And my other firewall always asked if the
    >local net was safe (I choose yes of course).

    Go into one of the routers. Ping the 192.168.1.10 address. (Yes, I
    know, it doesn't work.) Now, do a "show arp" and look for the .10
    address in your arp table. If it shows "incomplete" then layer 2
    isn't working. If there is a valid arp entry, then something on the
    PC is preventing the pings from being acknowledged/returned. Some VPN
    clients install a goofy firewall that blocks ICMP and doesn't tell
    you. YMMV.

    --chris
    Prince By-Tor, Jul 16, 2004