    My operating system is Windows XP SP2.

    If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=, Sep 5, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=

    Dave Guest

    "Canu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I have a laptop with a built wireless antenna for connection to 802.11b
    > networks made by LAN-Express IEEE 802.11 that has suddenly stopped
    > functioning. I have used this for over 2 years prior to this without any
    > problems until now. When checking the hardware using the Device Manager,
    > the
    > hardware is reported as "working properly" but I'm not able to connect to
    > the
    > router.
    > I have repaired the connection several times, uninstalled and reinstalled
    > the hardware and tried to roll back the driver but I'm still unable to get
    > connection.
    > The router itself is functioning correctly.
    > My operating system is Windows XP SP2.
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

    first, how do you know the router is functioning properly?? do you have
    another system that is using it that works??

    second, the device manager can't tell you if the rf part of the card is
    working. it could be perfectly happy with the card function but it may not
    be transmitting or receiving at all. try another card.

    Dave, Sep 5, 2005

  3. Dave,

    Thank you for your message.

    I know that the router is functioning correctly because another system is
    using it.

    When you say that the Device Manager may be happy with card function, what
    do you mean?

    Any further assistance would be appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=, Sep 5, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=

    Dave Guest

    i mean the device manager will report the card is 'working properly' because
    it can not test the radio part of the card, only the logic that drives it.

    Dave, Sep 5, 2005
  5. A simple test you might do, if you have a second wireless PC, is set both PCs
    to ad-hoc and test if the working PC sees the wireless of the problem PC.
    Probably not. A possibility is that the connection from the card to the
    antenna is faulty.
    --
    Greenstead

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZW5zdGVhZA==?=, Sep 5, 2005
  6. Thanks for the advice.

    I've tried the test that you suggest and wasn't able to see the laptop with
    maybe faulty antenna.

    I've noticed another couple of things that might give a better idea of what
    the problem may be:

    1/ I've added a PCMIA card for Wi Fi access and I was able to obtain a
    signal and connection without any problem
    2/ I tried to repair the connection of the internal card and noted that I
    received an error message stating that "Windows could not finish repairing
    the problem because the following action could not be completed: Disabling
    the network adaptor. Make sure your network adaptor is properly installed".

    I guess one of the things that I'm trying to ascertain is whether this is
    software or hardware issue.

    Any further help would be great.

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FudQ==?=, Sep 6, 2005
  7. I have had your same problem which I have traced back to the event of
    Automatic Updates installing Software Distribution Service on Aug 30. This
    is a weird problem. I am on a university campus that provides
    mac-address-registrered wireless access in the library. I also have free
    wireless access in my apartment (non-university). Before the update I was
    able to use both wireless services. After the update I was able to use
    neither. Since I rolled the system back to the aforementioned spot (Aug 30-
    before Software Distribution Service) using the System Restore Utility I have
    regained my connection ability at the library. I am still receiving no
    packets at home. I have a superficial knowledge of packets which is that if
    you are sending them and not receiving them you are no better off for it. If
    you find a solution please post it!

    =?Utf-8?B?UGVhY2g=?=, Sep 7, 2005