    just fine but after a couple of minutes it will disconnect and will not
    reconnect. Any suggestion

    Dan

    Dan, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Unfortunately, folks are going to need a lot more information to figure out
    the root cause of the issue. Please reply back with the following
    information:

    What operating system version are you using?
    Is Windows managing your wireless connection?
    What wireless adapter are you using?
    What is the driver version for the adapter?
    What is the firmware version on the access point?
    What are the security settings for the wireless network?

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Jul 21, 2005

  3. Re: Strange Connection Problem with TMobile HotSpot

    I have a similar connection problem--I get thrown off the TMobile network
    (Starbucks) after between 10 and 30 minutes. This only started happening
    about 2 weeks ago. Called TMobile, they were useless. Sony Vaio support tries
    to help but is not able to solve it. Can anybody advise? The weird thing is
    that my wireless connection works great on my home network; only problems are
    on networks that require a password via the browser. (My home network is WEP
    enabled)

    Answering Jerry's q's below: My vaio is running Windows XP Home with SP2.
    The wireless is Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG. The driver is by Intel, 8/7/2004,
    version 9.0.0.60. I can't tell you anything about the access points they use
    at TMobile--but the problem happened at another hotspot (Boundless WiFi) that
    also requires username and password. And it has happened at about 6 different
    starbucks in the last two weeks. I am also running Norton Internet Security
    2005 and I have tried disabling that and disabling the WIndows Firewall too.
    I thought it might be a Norton issue because a few weeks ago my subscription
    to Norton service ran out; that's why I disabled it. But nothing has fixed
    the problem yet. Any assistance would be gratefully received. Thanks in
    Advance.
    --
    Jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=, Jul 24, 2005
  4. Dan

    Clark Guest

    Re: Strange Connection Problem with TMobile HotSpot

    Check and see if you have 802.1x enabled, and if so try turning it off. If
    you are using WAP you can't, of course.

    Do you have a separate profile setup for each connection?

    My driver for the 2200BG is 9.0.1.9--new card.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 24, 2005
  5. Re: Strange Connection Problem with TMobile HotSpot

    Clark,
    Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it. How do you turn off 802.1x? In
    the properties for my wireless card, it says i have 802.11b/g enabled on
    channel 11. Where do i go to set up different profiles for each connection?
    Are you referring to TMobile's connection mgr software (I'm not using it on
    this pc). I am also starting to think my problems are related to the Intel
    wireless card because I notice other weird things in the wireless connection
    status box--like it says I've been connected for 20 minutes after I've been
    connected for only 2; and it shows only 30,000 bytes received after I've
    downloaded a 40 meg file; and most weird of all, after it throws me off,
    sometimes it shows I'm disconnected in that box but if i go to the browser
    window and log into tmobile i get online and keep surfing--while the wireless
    status says I'm disconnected!! Do you recommend going to the Intel website
    and loading a newer driver for the card?
    Thanks
    Jeff

    --
    Jeff

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=, Jul 24, 2005
  6. Dan

    Clark Guest

    Re: Strange Connection Problem with TMobile HotSpot

    Which configuration utility are you using for the Card, the Intel ProSet or
    the Windows WZC? Only one can control the card at one time and unless you
    have done something to disable the WZC, it is probably in control. If you
    have a wireless tab on your connection in My Network Places-Properties, the
    WZC is in control and that is where you would add the profile.

    "How do you turn off 802.1x"

    On the Intel controller the 802.1x is on each Profile's-properties-security
    page. The same place you set up the SSID and WEP or whatever the connection
    needs. It can only be turned off if you are not using WAP.

    "Where do I go to set up different profiles for each connection?"

    When you first see a network and choose to sign on, you should be asked if
    you want to make a profile for the network (may vary by utility or
    settings). By making one, you don't have to change settings for each
    network you join, but just pick the correct profile. If you are not
    prompted, just add one. I do not use public services, so there may be a
    sign on situation I do not understand. But in my case, I have a profile for
    my network using WEP and a profile using WAP, depending what happens to be
    going on at the time.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 25, 2005