Connection inconsistencies.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brian Malia, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Brian Malia

    Brian Malia Guest

    I have been receiving several phone calls about customers having this
    problem. They connect to us (DSL or Dial-up), their service only lasts for
    about 15 minutes. Then all traffic stops, and they must restart the machine
    to restore the connection. However, the restoration of the connection will
    only last for 15 minutes.

    On a local area network it will usually only affect a single computer on the
    network. All other machines can connect to the Internet fine, while a
    particular computer has this problem.

    Is this the symptoms of a new virus that I am not aware of? I had some
    users run "netstat -a" to see if all their ports are being used. However,
    this is not the case. This all started to happen around January 29th (when
    W32.Novarg came out). I had the users run the removal tool from Symantec to
    detect and remove this virus, but they were not infected. And, update their
    virus definitions or install Anti-Virus software and run a complete system
    scan. But, it detects no virus.

    All we have done on our end is block TCP ports 3127 - 3198 inbound/outbound
    on January 27th.

    Does anyone know of this problem or have any suggestions to further
    troubleshoot the matter?

    -------
    Brian Malia, Systems Engineer Phone: 800.656.GWIS
    GWIS Internet Solutions Fax: 330.656.5440

    E-Commerce Business Web Hosting, Fast DSL, ISDN, Leased Line!

    Brian Malia, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Brian Malia

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Brian Malia" <> wrote in

    > I have been receiving several phone calls about customers having this
    > problem. They connect to us (DSL or Dial-up), their service only
    > lasts for about 15 minutes. Then all traffic stops, and they must
    > restart the machine to restore the connection. However, the
    > restoration of the connection will only last for 15 minutes.
    >
    > On a local area network it will usually only affect a single computer
    > on the network. All other machines can connect to the Internet fine,
    > while a particular computer has this problem.
    >
    > Is this the symptoms of a new virus that I am not aware of? I had
    > some users run "netstat -a" to see if all their ports are being used.
    > However, this is not the case. This all started to happen around
    > January 29th (when W32.Novarg came out). I had the users run the
    > removal tool from Symantec to detect and remove this virus, but they
    > were not infected. And, update their virus definitions or install
    > Anti-Virus software and run a complete system scan. But, it detects
    > no virus.
    >
    > All we have done on our end is block TCP ports 3127 - 3198
    > inbound/outbound on January 27th.
    >
    > Does anyone know of this problem or have any suggestions to further
    > troubleshoot the matter?
    >

    > -------
    > Brian Malia, Systems Engineer Phone: 800.656.GWIS
    > GWIS Internet Solutions Fax:
    > 330.656.5440
    >
    > E-Commerce Business Web Hosting, Fast DSL, ISDN, Leased Line!

    I would suggest you post this at alt.comp.anti-virus.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 4, 2004