    I am an NTL Customer and use 1899 and 18866, the Connection charge as you
    know is 4p and 5p respectively. Anyone know of any cheaper voip company with
    lower connection via NTL line ?.

    807, Dec 6, 2006

  2. 807 wrote:
    > I am an NTL Customer and use 1899 and 18866, the Connection charge as you
    > know is 4p and 5p respectively. Anyone know of any cheaper voip company with
    > lower connection via NTL line ?.

    Doh!

    What about FREE is that cheaper?
    You have or can get an NTL cable connection.
    A little outlay on some fairly cheap kit will have you getting calls as
    cheap as chips.
    If you run out of FREE days you're still looking at just over 0.7p/min
    or so to UK, US and many more.
    http://www.voipcheap.com/en/freetrial.html
    (Multiply displayed price by 0.6 to get a good idea of price)

    http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
    http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_, Dec 6, 2006

  3. 807

    807 Guest

    I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I have
    is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc even though I
    have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her to press the memory
    key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my question old boy ?

    807, Dec 6, 2006
  4. 807

    Ross Beer Guest

    807 wrote:
    > I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I have
    > is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc even though I
    > have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her to press the memory
    > key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my question old boy ?

    You could consider using an ATA on the phone, so that you would dial in
    the normal way, but the calls go out over VoIP.

    Regards,

    Ross
    -----------------------
    Ross Beer
    VoiceHost Support
    www.voicehost.co.uk

    Ross Beer, Dec 6, 2006
  5. Ross Beer wrote:
    > 807 wrote:
    >> I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I
    >> have is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc even
    >> though I have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her to
    >> press the memory key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my
    >> question old boy ?
    >>

    > You could consider using an ATA on the phone, so that you would dial in
    > the normal way, but the calls go out over VoIP.

    Exactly.
    Once it's working she'd be none the wiser and the computer could be left
    off while using ones original DECT phone.

    Works for me and I have shyed away from VOIP technology for as long as I
    can remember (fear of the dark arts and all that stuff)

    :¬)

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_, Dec 6, 2006
  6. 807

    Ross Beer Guest

    Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
    > Ross Beer wrote:
    >> 807 wrote:
    >>> I use the PC to make calls for free as you say already, the problem I
    >>> have is a wife stuck in the dark ages who will not call via my pc
    >>> even though I have a USB handset , it takes me all my time to get her
    >>> to press the memory key to access 1899 on the NTL phone, hence my
    >>> question old boy ?
    >>>

    >> You could consider using an ATA on the phone, so that you would dial
    >> in the normal way, but the calls go out over VoIP.

    > Exactly.
    > Once it's working she'd be none the wiser and the computer could be left
    > off while using ones original DECT phone.
    >
    > Works for me and I have shyed away from VOIP technology for as long as I
    > can remember (fear of the dark arts and all that stuff)
    >
    > :¬)

    If you wanted to make it dial like a normal phone you could add a rule
    for your local area code too. You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
    well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make calls
    over the PSTN network.

    Ross

    -----------------------
    Ross Beer
    VoiceHost Support
    www.voicehost.co.uk

    Ross Beer, Dec 7, 2006
  7. Ross Beer wrote:

    > If you wanted to make it dial like a normal phone you could add a rule
    > for your local area code too. You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
    > well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make calls
    > over the PSTN network.

    That's the bit I need to sort out.
    Using the 2 VOIP ports on the Draytek router, but need some form of Line
    combiner which would allow PSTN line in for in-bound calls and divert to
    VOIP router port for outgoing so only one handset.

    Seems a waste to not use the Vigour ports and dual-line DECT phones seem
    few and far between.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_, Dec 7, 2006
  8. 807

    neg Guest

    neg, Dec 7, 2006
  9. 807

    Ross Beer Guest

    Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
    > Ross Beer wrote:
    >
    >> If you wanted to make it dial like a normal phone you could add a rule
    >> for your local area code too. You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces
    >> as well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make
    >> calls over the PSTN network.

    > That's the bit I need to sort out.
    > Using the 2 VOIP ports on the Draytek router, but need some form of Line
    > combiner which would allow PSTN line in for in-bound calls and divert to
    > VOIP router port for outgoing so only one handset.
    >
    > Seems a waste to not use the Vigour ports and dual-line DECT phones seem
    > few and far between.

    When you say dual-line do you mean you would like a voip line and pstn line?

    If so there is one phone see:
    http://www.voicehost.co.uk/Store/StoreGrid.jsp?category=1

    The C460 IP & PSTN, DECT phone. So you can plug in the standard
    telephone line and connect it to your router for VoIP calls.

    I haven't see a line combiner on the market, someone else may know of one?

    I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

    Ross

    -----------------------
    Ross Beer
    VoiceHost Support
    www.voicehost.co.uk

    Ross Beer, Dec 8, 2006
  10. Ross Beer wrote:

    > When you say dual-line do you mean you would like a voip line and pstn
    > line?

    Yes, something I'd have thought would be very easy and in-expensive to
    produce as it could be powered from the pstn line voltage then have a
    manual line switching for outgoing calls (to be routed over VOIP ATA
    whatever) while allowing calls on either inbound line to be picked up
    from a common source.

    > If so there is one phone see:
    > http://www.voicehost.co.uk/Store/StoreGrid.jsp?category=1

    Not really what I'm after.

    > The C460 IP & PSTN, DECT phone. So you can plug in the standard
    > telephone line and connect it to your router for VoIP calls.

    I was thinking more along the lines of DECTsys 2200
    but without the requirement for interline operation'

    > I haven't see a line combiner on the market, someone else may know of one?

    I've seen one e-bay but can't find it any more, problem was it auto
    switched to make outgoing calls on the line which was last active.
    Unfortunately that would mostly be the PSTN inbound line.

    > I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

    I have all the sip accounts functions and features etc etc on the
    Draytek 2910 which provides everything to just plug in a bog standard
    DECT phone.

    Which I have quite a few of.
    :¬)

    2 seperate phones in the house would be as confusing as the 5 x remote
    controls we have.
    The one you want is always the one you can't find.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_, Dec 8, 2006
  11. 807

    Martin² Guest

    Ross:
    >I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

    Zyxel 2602HWL router has two VoIP ports and pass trough to PSTN line by
    dialling a prefix No. e.g. 9.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Dec 9, 2006
  12. 807

    Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:53:47 +0000, Ross Beer
    <> wrote:

    >You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
    >well, so if your broadband were to go down you could still make calls
    >over the PSTN network.

    Well, IME, that's not a great help. The only two times my broadband
    has been down for more than a few minutes it has been because the
    underlying phone line failed.

    I was able to use a neighbour's WiFi connection to reconnect the VOIP
    lines in the meantime.

    , Dec 9, 2006
  13. 807

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:53:47 +0000, Ross Beer
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > You can get ATA's with PSTN interfaces as
    > > well, so if your broadband were to go down you could
    > > still make calls over the PSTN network.

    > Well, IME, that's not a great help. The only two times my
    > broadband has been down for more than a few minutes it
    > has been because the underlying phone line failed.
    >
    > I was able to use a neighbour's WiFi connection to
    > reconnect the VOIP lines in the meantime.

    Not always the case, my ADSL (Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve or whatever it's
    called this week) failed for almost 24 hours a few weeks ago. The phone
    line was still ok.

    First time it's failed for more than a few minutes in over 5 years so I
    shouldn't really complain.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 9, 2006
  14. 807

    Herman Guest

    ""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" <> wrote in message
    > Ross Beer wrote:
    >
    >> When you say dual-line do you mean you would like a voip line and pstn
    >> line?

    > Yes, something I'd have thought would be very easy and in-expensive to
    > produce as it could be powered from the pstn line voltage then have a
    > manual line switching for outgoing calls (to be routed over VOIP ATA
    > whatever) while allowing calls on either inbound line to be picked up from
    > a common source.
    >

    >> If so there is one phone see:
    >> http://www.voicehost.co.uk/Store/StoreGrid.jsp?category=1

    > Not really what I'm after.
    >

    >> The C460 IP & PSTN, DECT phone. So you can plug in the standard telephone
    >> line and connect it to your router for VoIP calls.

    > I was thinking more along the lines of DECTsys 2200
    > but without the requirement for interline operation'
    >

    >> I haven't see a line combiner on the market, someone else may know of
    >> one?

    > I've seen one e-bay but can't find it any more, problem was it auto
    > switched to make outgoing calls on the line which was last active.
    > Unfortunately that would mostly be the PSTN inbound line.
    >
    >> I think the only way is to have a PSTN port on a VoIP telephone or ATA.

    > I have all the sip accounts functions and features etc etc on the Draytek
    > 2910 which provides everything to just plug in a bog standard DECT phone.
    >
    > Which I have quite a few of.
    > :¬)
    >
    > 2 seperate phones in the house would be as confusing as the 5 x remote
    > controls we have.
    > The one you want is always the one you can't find.

    Only possible to do this using an ATA but this allows you to use your
    current phone - cheapest offering with POTS override is something like a
    Grandstream Handytone at around 40 squid. Not a very well designed bit of
    kit but just about does the job. Alternatively, I can recommend Fritz!Box
    products from somewhere like www.broadbandstuff.co.uk. Lot more user
    friendly and gives you the ability to have up to 10 SIP accounts with
    routing. Also handles caller ID OK which can be an issue.

    There are others as well which I am sure other people in the group can
    advise on - like the LinkSys SPA3102. Voicehost do this, but you will find
    Broadbandstuff to be cheaper (sorry Ross!)

    Herman, Dec 11, 2006