    and files of the 2 pcs?? I don't know what to do because no one of the 2 can
    see the other... Workgroups???
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2lhY2NpaG9tZQ==?=, Aug 17, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q2lhY2NpaG9tZQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Ciaccihome wrote:

    > I have a router who shares my high-speed internet connection between my
    > two computers. one is connected by LAN to the router and the other by
    > wireless... Now the question is: can i create bridge connections to share
    > the hard disks and files of the 2 pcs?? I don't know what to do because no
    > one of the 2 can see the other... Workgroups???
    > Thanks

    You don't need to create a bridge - you've already got a router and Internet
    connection on both machines. You just need to set up your local area
    network (lan) sharing. Here is some basic information:

    Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
    Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on
    the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or
    have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06)
    which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party
    firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as
    trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User