connection and authentication problems (long post)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike in Nebraska, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. Q: Are my problems due to bad design of the network, bad configuration, or a
    combination of the two?

    Goal: Provide internet-only access to guests outside of our company LAN and
    WLAN.

    Products used: D-Link wireless router DI-524, and a mix of D-Link access
    points DWL-2200APs and DWL-2100APs.

    Environment: The main building (with all the infrastructure) and 4
    outbuildings - all within 250 yards of the main building.

    Problem: Guests can only get a good signal, a "locked" IP address and
    authenticate when close to the access points that are wired to the wirless
    router. For those in the other buildings, it can't get an IP, except
    sporadically and then its lost again, and authentication times out.

    The setup:

    T1

    SOHO Router---------crossover
    cable-----------(192.168.1.2) DI-524
    (192.168.1.1)
    (192.168.2.1)

    (192.168.1.10)
    3 x DWL-2200/2100AP's
    DC - Server
    wired to the DI-524, static IPs
    (192.168.16.2)

    One of the
    above AP's broadcasts via

    omni-dir.
    antenna to the other buildings

    Configuration:
    (1) DI-524: WAN IP - 192.168.1.2, LAN IP - 192.168.2.1, Gateway -
    192.168.1.1 (SOHO router's LAN IP), DHCP scope is .100 through.199, with the
    first seven IP's reserved for the access points. Uses Channel 6 in
    broadcast mode. Authentication is WPA PSK/Personal. Virtual Servers setup
    for ports 80,443,53 and 110 using Private IP 192.168.1.1 (SOHO router).
    (2) Three wired AP's: they share the same SSID - "PRWCMT". Their Gateway is
    the DI-524 - 192.168.2.1. They are set in "WDS with AP" mode, with the MAC's
    of the DI-524 and the other two wired AP's entered into the table.
    (3) Four 'wireless' AP's have directional antennas pointing back to the main
    building's antenna. All have different SSID's; they start with "PRWCMT" and
    are suffixed with the building name. All are in "WDS with AP" mode, with
    the MAC's of the DI-524, the wired AP that is connected to the omni-dir.
    antenna and the other 3 'wireless' AP's.

    Any advice/comments?
    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

    Mike in Nebraska, Jul 31, 2008

  2. One (big) correction to my post -- I cna ONLY get an IP and then
    authenticate when I connect wirelessly to the DI-524 wireless router itself.
    Cannot do this from the 'wired' or 'wireless' access points. I'm guessing
    it MUST be my configuration.

    Mike

    Mike in Nebraska, Jul 31, 2008