    with the wired network.

    all replies welcomed! Aaron in N. Hollywood

    , Oct 18, 2006

  2. GTS Guest

    If the number or ports would be adequate, it would be easiest to replace the
    wired router with the wireless router. Alternatively, you could configure
    the wireless router to function as Wireless Access point and switch.. See
    How do I use a Wireless Cable/DSL Router as a Switch with an Access Point
    (or a Wired Router as a passive Switch)?
    http://ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    GTS, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Patty Guest

    On 17 Oct 2006 23:10:11 -0700, wrote:

    > I have Windows XP, a Linksys wired router with 4 ports, and have just
    > been given a Linksys wireless router. Is it possible to hook up the
    > wireless router to the wired router so that non-wired computers in the
    > home can go on the internet? There will be some that say "why
    > bother, go all wired". I would prefer, however, to not interfere
    > with the wired network.
    >
    > all replies welcomed! Aaron in N. Hollywood

    I read somewhere that you shouldn't use two routers, they might conflict
    with each other. I have a wired router and set up a wireless access point,
    which plugs into the wired router using a UTP cable (RJ45 connector). My
    WAP is a Linksys WAP54G. I also have a Linksys 8-port switch (since I have
    more than 4 systems/printers to plug into the network) that also plugs into
    my wired router. Network works great, wired and wireless systems.

    Patty

    Patty, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Newtechie Guest

    Yes - I actually have this setup. Since you don't want to touch the wired
    computers, you'll have to connect the wireless router to an available port
    on the wired router. You'll have to disable DHCP on the wireless and make
    sure you enable the security on the wireless router using WPA2 if the router
    supports it.

    newtechie

    Newtechie, Oct 18, 2006
  5. David Hettel Guest

    Yes it's possible. It may also be possible to plug your wired router into
    the Wireless router and the wireless router into your Internet connection
    and thereby keeping the wireless computers in their own LAN, if you need
    additional security, this would prevent the wireless computers from easily
    accessing shared folders on the wired LAN. Your wired LAN would then be
    doubled NATed.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 18, 2006
  6. RobArtRees

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    How do you disable the DCHP? Can you access the wireless router from the computer after you connect it to the wired router; or do you have to disable DCHP before connecting it?

    RobArtRees, Jul 13, 2008
  7. audriusa

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    I have wired router Linksys AG241 and wireless access point WAP54G. The access point only has one RJ45 socket, this was connected to one of the AG241 ports with the *crossed* cable. I did the manual setup for WAP54G (did not have enough courage to hit its "big green button"). The IP address of the wireless point was left as it was (192.168.1.245). The wired router has 4 sockets and tends to give addresses from 192.168.1.* domain to the connected devices. I told the access point to use the forwarded DHCP when getting addresses to the connected wireless clients.

    I discovered that this system works well as a united network: wireless devices can connect the access point, wired devices can be plugged into the 3 remaining sockets of AG241, all have the Internet access through the AG241 modem and if needed can also talk find each other by IP address.

    audriusa, Jul 13, 2008