Connecting Wireless Network from Building to Building

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jim, Oct 5, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    We have a requirement to connect a number of notebooks in a building to a
    ship - wirelessly.

    The current proposal is to have a wireless bridge on the ship, bridging to a
    bridge on the ground. This bridge on the ground is then connected to an
    access point by cable and the notebooks connect to the access point.

    The access point maybe required to be a distance from the bridge due to the
    structure of the buildings - so that the access point can definately connect
    to the notebooks.

    I am not sure this is the best way. I don't want to run a cable from the
    bridge to the access point. I looked before at a repeater inline - with only
    using access points - but the signal was slightly un-reliable and we cannot
    afford this network connection to be unreliable.

    Any thoughts appreciated.

    Jim, Oct 5, 2007

  2. Jim

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You need to be a lot more specific about distance, obstacles between
    the ship and the building and define the actual number of
    simultaneous wireless users.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 5, 2007

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Can't be that specific as it is not going to be tied to one building.

    The laptops (six devices) will be anything up to 150 metres from the ship,
    with various obsticles inbetween eg walls, metal doors etc.

    That's why I am asking about repeaters etc.

    Jim, Oct 5, 2007
  4. Hi
    Technically you do it as describe in this page.
    Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    Would it work?
    It depends on the environment and the capacity to install multiple
    Bridges/Repeaters.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 5, 2007
  5. We are did the same in our outdoor wireless using Cisco 1310 bridge. Based
    on our experience, you must have very clean distance between bridge and
    bridge/repeater/AP. More repeaters, the single will be weaker and
    un-reliable.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L \(MS-MVP\), Oct 5, 2007
  6. Jim

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You might need wired access points for roaming and/or wireless
    repeaters coupled with one or more devices on the ship (you didn't
    say how big the ship is). Or even a combination of everything,
    depending on topology. Special antennae might help as well. If you
    have the capability to hardwire some access points at the edges of
    buildings, that would help, especially with walls and metal doors in
    the line of sight.

    On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:36:53 +0100, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >Can't be that specific as it is not going to be tied to one building.
    >
    >The laptops (six devices) will be anything up to 150 metres from the ship,
    >with various obsticles inbetween eg walls, metal doors etc.
    >
    >That's why I am asking about repeaters etc.
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" <> wrote in message
    >> You need to be a lot more specific about distance, obstacles between
    >> the ship and the building and define the actual number of
    >> simultaneous wireless users.
    >>
    >> On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:52:01 +0100, "Jim" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>We have a requirement to connect a number of notebooks in a building to a
    >>>ship - wirelessly.
    >>>
    >>>The current proposal is to have a wireless bridge on the ship, bridging to
    >>>bridge on the ground. This bridge on the ground is then connected to an
    >>>access point by cable and the notebooks connect to the access point.
    >>>
    >>>The access point maybe required to be a distance from the bridge due to
    >>>the
    >>>structure of the buildings - so that the access point can definately
    >>>connect
    >>>to the notebooks.
    >>>
    >>>I am not sure this is the best way. I don't want to run a cable from the
    >>>bridge to the access point. I looked before at a repeater inline - with
    >>>only
    >>>using access points - but the signal was slightly un-reliable and we
    >>>cannot
    >>>afford this network connection to be unreliable.
    >>>
    >>>Any thoughts appreciated.
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP