connecting winxp to win95 for internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
    >| with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
    >| to get an internet connection from my computer
    >| because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
    >| cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection
    >| (wall television socket) from the company because I would then have
    >| to pay double for both connections to the internet.
    >| my question is will this work?
    >| what hardware/software will I need to install?
    >| and is this home-networking feasible?
    >| thank you for your supporting tips!

    Sure...just ask Microsoft...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/hnetwork.asp

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| Sure...just ask Microsoft...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/hnetwork.asp

    Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
    Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim

    Scraggy Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    Snip
    the XP Home
    > Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

    PBKAC :)
    --
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
    boxing. -- Emo Philips

    Scraggy, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Toolman Tim

    PC Guest

    "Eli Aran" <> wrote in message
    >I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
    > with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
    > to get an internet connection from my computer
    > because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
    > cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
    > television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay
    > double
    > for both connections to the internet.
    > my question is will this work?
    > what hardware/software will I need to install?
    > and is this home-networking feasible?
    > thank you for your supporting tips!

    Eli

    What you want is "Internet Connection Sharing"

    The hardware you will need is a Network card in each PC (probably already
    one in your XP box) and a 'Crossover' network cable.

    Then go Start,'Help and Support on your XP machine and enter 'ICS' into the
    search facility and have a good read. You should find all you need there.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    Eli Aran, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    thank you very much.
    that was very helpful.

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    > >| Sure...just ask Microsoft...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/hnetwork.asp

    > Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
    > Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.
    >
    > --
    > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
    > THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    how do I set up the Win95 networking manually ?

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Snip
    > the XP Home
    > > Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

    > PBKAC :)
    > --
    > A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick
    > boxing. -- Emo Philips

    what is PBKAC?

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Toolman Tim

    samuel Guest

    "Eli Aran" <> wrote in news:2q1i0dFq2ljmU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/

    samuel, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Toolman Tim

    madmax Guest

    Eli Aran wrote:

    > I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
    > with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
    > to get an internet connection from my computer
    > because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
    > cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
    > television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay double
    > for both connections to the internet.
    > my question is will this work?
    > what hardware/software will I need to install?
    > and is this home-networking feasible?
    > thank you for your supporting tips!

    Here is a good place for info
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail

    madmax, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| > >|
    >| > >|

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/hnetwork.asp
    >| > >|

    >| > Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP
    >| > Home Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
    >| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    >| >

    >| how do I set up the Win95 networking manually ?

    control panel, network properties, install Windows Networking client, and
    install TC/PIP protocol

    An ption which would cost a little more, would be to purchase a cable modem
    router. Here's the two cable methods side by side:

    1) standard "crossover" network with two PCS requires 2 network cards and a
    crossover ethernet cable. (If your cable modem is coming in via ethernet,
    you will need another card. Configuring two cards in one PC can be
    troublesome sometimes.) Your cable modem goes to one ethernet card in XP
    computer, and the Windows 95 computer (using the crossover cable) plugs into
    the other one. While this should work, it is not allways the easiest to get
    running.

    2) "home network" method - cable modem connects to a cable modem router. The
    XP computer connects to the router, the W95 computer connects to the router.
    Simpler cabling, more reliable connections, AND it adds NAT security to your
    computer system. (NAT is network address translation - the "Internet" and/or
    hackers would see the router at the end of the cable modem instead of seeing
    your computers.)

    Personally, I'd spend the extra and get the router for the ease of
    connections and the added security.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| what is the problem between my keyboard and my chair?
    >| is this supposed to help me SOLVE my networking problem?

    I believe Scraggy was teasing me about posting back to my own post 'cause I
    had a "brain fart" - PBKAC - and had to add more info. I don't think it was
    directed at you. And you'll wanna put a thick skin on if you're gonna play
    in this newsgroup <g>

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Toolman Tim

    Alex Fraser Guest

    > >| what is the problem between my keyboard and my chair?
    > >| is this supposed to help me SOLVE my networking problem?

    > I believe Scraggy was teasing me about posting back to my own post 'cause
    > I had a "brain fart" - PBKAC - and had to add more info.

    Actually, I think it was the obviously wrong comment in your second post:
    "the XP Home Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP."

    (You presumably meant that it doesn't run on 95.)

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Sep 6, 2004
  14. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    No, he wasn't teasing YOU - he was laughing at MY error. (so am I, since I
    didn't catch it either <g>)

    >| yes I know he was trying to tease me but I am seriously looking for a
    >| networking solution to connect the 95 comp to my xp.
    >|
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| >
    >| > I believe Scraggy was teasing me about posting back to my own post
    >| > 'cause I had a "brain fart" - PBKAC - and had to add more info. I
    >| > don't think it was directed at you. And you'll wanna put a thick
    >| > skin on if you're gonna play in this newsgroup <g>
    >| >
    >| > --
    >| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
    >| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  15. Toolman Tim

    samuel Guest

    "Eli Aran" <> wrote in

    > yes I know he was trying to tease me but I am seriously looking
    > for a networking solution to connect the 95 comp to my xp.

    he was talking to someone else not you

    have you looked ? http://tinyurl.com/5xzpk

    http://tinyurl.com/6gqkw

    samuel, Sep 6, 2004
  16. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  17. Toolman Tim

    Scraggy Guest

    Alex Fraser wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> I believe Scraggy was teasing me about posting back to my own post
    >> 'cause I had a "brain fart" - PBKAC - and had to add more info.

    > Actually, I think it was the obviously wrong comment in your second
    > post: "the XP Home Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP."
    >
    > (You presumably meant that it doesn't run on 95.)
    >
    > Alex

    :)

    Scraggy, Sep 6, 2004
  18. Toolman Tim

    Scraggy Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > No, he wasn't teasing YOU - he was laughing at MY error. (so am I,
    > since I didn't catch it either <g>)

    ;-)

    Scraggy, Sep 6, 2004
  19. Toolman Tim